Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Major Winter Storm Coming This Week >

Major Winter Storm Coming This Week

Major Winter Storm Coming This Week

Old 01-30-2011, 05:19 PM

We are supposed to get snow and then freezing rain/ice turning to just rain and then back to snow. All in 24 hours! Gotta love Ohio, land of the 4 season day.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Gosh, how do you handle more than a few inches of snow? Do you prepare for electrical power outages? In southwest Missouri if we have 2 -3 inches the schools will close but most businesses stay open. Our weatherman is not predicting how much we might get with this latest "storm" just that we will have "rain, followed by ice which will quickly turn over to snow". It is to begin Tuesday into Wednesday. In 2007 we had a major ice storm and some were without electricity for 1 -2 weeks. I kept grandkids without any electricity while husband worked (clearing roads) and kids worked in the city where they had power. Grandkids thought is was a great adventure and wanted to do it again - NOT ME!
I'm to keep grandkids again this week while their parents fly to Florida.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:25 PM

We are supposed to get some snow as well. Went to the store today and stocked up. Will just hole up and sew, sew, sew.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM

I'll be traveling back from Nashville during the storm, we are to have heavy rains and high winds possible tornadic activity.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
The Chicago news said the snow will be measured in feet not inches. South of us will get lots of ice. We have a blizzard warning. Should be interesting.
Yes, I'm not too happy....and Tink is wearing her "I am not amused" look. I told her to go and tinkle now cuz she won't be going out after tomorrow...

:thumbdown:
Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM

As long as we have power...I don't care...for me...I can be a hermit...but my hubby and sons will still be going to work. Younger son drives a big beer truck. He says tomorrow will be a long day...as people will be stocking up.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Am also from Southwest Mo area, they say we r getting rain, ice and snow but I have never heard the amounts. I am praying it misses us, just like last time! Our area just got a skiff. Everyone stay safe and warm, hope u all keep ur Power on!!!!!!

Be sure and fill ur tubs with water so u can at least flush!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tink74
It is about time we get our snow!! :-) Everyone else has got it recently but us :-( I know I am part of the minority, but I live here because I love the snow :-)
Hey TINK74 - If you like the snow so very much, you can keep it at your house - don't send it our way! :) LOL

A number of years ago we purchased a generator after a major snow storm knocked out power for over 4 days. IF we use it once a year, I'm tickled pink we own it - especially in the summer when the rain water could easily flood the basement if the sump pump doesn't work.

Spending money on a generator is well worth cleaning the basement...did it one time before we bought the generator and that was one time too many!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tink74
It is about time we get our snow!! :-) Everyone else has got it recently but us :-( I know I am part of the minority, but I live here because I love the snow :-)
Tink74...when we get this snow...you can drive about 45 minutes northeast and come and pick up some of my snow...Tink doesn't like it, and I am not supposed to shovel.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Yes, we have been listening to the forecast, too. The part that worries me the most is the ice that they are calling for. That just shuts down everything! I'd take a foot of snow (which they say we may get) over an inch of ice (which they say we may get) any day!