Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room) >
  • Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

• Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 PM
    Banned

I spent all day organizing fabric, and I'm still only halfway done. Can't wait to post pictures!
    Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 AM

I worked on mine yesterday..such fun seeing fabric that I forgot I had and wondered where I got all of it..and why..lol..I am doing it the way someone suggested using my ruler to wrap..it seems to be holding up real good..have one shelf finished..so glad I found this site..Kathleen
    Old 01-30-2011, 03:06 PM

ok, I took the plunge, and used the cardboard from the fabric store to wrap some of my fabric. The problem I encountered was my shelf space is 15.5 inches and I am wasting space by doing this. I can see that one needs to have shelving that is about 8 inches to make this useful and to maximize the space. Any thoughts on this?
    Old 01-30-2011, 03:31 PM

I am putting my tall yardage in the back and the 1yd. and under in front of it..just starting to organize..I am using the 6 1/2"x34" ruler to fold mine..and it is working great..at first I thought maybe it would not be stiff enough to stand up but find it is..even the 1yd and under..the way it is folded it is stiff enough to stand on its own..Kathleen
    Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM

I used pins to fasten my ends..and I wrapped my smaller fabric using 6 1/2' to wrap..I might try the 4" ruler..it would probably take up less space..I did fold my 1 yd.pieces like Austriasunshine showed us..Kathleen
    Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM

I took a trip to Ikea today and got a couple book shelves with doors. Also ordered my corogated plastic from Home Depot. Can;t wait for it to get here. It might waste space but I do like the way it looks and I have my project in plastic to keep that stuff separate. Can't wait for the boards to get here.
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by daylily4u
    Thank you very much Alaskasunshine for sharing this tutorial with us. You have done a WONDERFUL job sharing all this information with us. So very nice of your dh to do this, I am very thankful to have a dh that will do the same for me! We r so very blessed to have such wonderful dh! I just got my dh a new tablesaw for Christmas so now I will have to have him cut my coroplast for me. Better yet I will have him teach me to do the cutting.
    I want to say congratulations on the Mayor's 1/2 Marathon. YOU GO GIRL!!! Blessing from Maine
    Ooooh I wanna see pix of you cutting your little bolts! :shock: How fun is this ???Great DH's are hard to come by, we are blessed and many of us on the board are too. Thanks so much on the kudos on my 1st 1/2 marathon I completed and i am in trainging for another 1/2 and then a full marathon. We'll see, thae pavement just be my friend :lol: !!!!! I hope your evening is blessed! :thumbup:
    Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
    I took a trip to Ikea today and got a couple book shelves with doors. Also ordered my corogated plastic from Home Depot. Can;t wait for it to get here. It might waste space but I do like the way it looks and I have my project in plastic to keep that stuff separate. Can't wait for the boards to get here.
    You will not be wasting any space at all in fact you will be saving space. And you will be able to find the fabric you are looing for very quickly. Please post pix here so we can all be excited with you!
    Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 PM

What kind of "boards" are you using?
    Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 PM

I thought I was organized, but your organization is amazing along with your stash. Only question, how do you keep the folds from fading from the light or getting dusty?