Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men who quilt >

Men who quilt

Men who quilt

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by SWChick
I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
See if you can find a local male quilter that he could talk or work with.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 AM

My ex-husband was a macho 6'4 270 lbs. construction worker. He re- married and now has some bad illnesses but loves to make quilts. He has made several, one even king size. I taught him to use a sewing machine and he always compared it as: pieces and parts just like putting together a house only smaller. I used to make clothes for our kids. Now we both are remarried and we both like to quilt. Kinda weird huh!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 AM

We have a local fire fighter in our guild. Last year he saw the cover of a quilting magazine and thought he'd like to try to make the quilt for his mom. His neighbor was a quilter so she helped but he bought the fabric, cut, pieced (after learning how to use the sewing machine) then borrowed his neighbor's long arm and quilted it. Since then he has made numerous quilts, even buying fabric on his vacations.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
We have many men on this site with some beautiful quilts. Today I am going to my guild meeting and the speaker is a man who has made some amazing quilts!! screwystewy is one lostn51 is another. I will see if I can find the speaker. There are bikers who quilt men in prision who quilt. It is not just for women :)

edited to add: Scott Hansen his website http://bluenickelstudios.com/
what a great blog, thanks...
Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM

When I lived in Hawaii, I used to go to the Bishop Museum to quilt twice a week. One day a big Hawaiian man came in and asked if some one would teach him to quilt,. His Doctor said he needed something to do to distress from his stressful job, so he took up Hawaiian quilting. This man had big paws for hands but he did the most beautiful appliqué and quilting. He took it to work and on his break he appliquéd and quilted. He got teased but after awhile the guys got interested and would ask to see how he was doing. They quit teasing him and admired his talent. So go for it and be proud!
Jan
Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

There are two exhibits of men's quilting. One at the Dallas Quilt Show and another in the Springfield Ma area.
Both coming up in March. There are at least two internet sites - one is Manquilters and the other a Yahoo Group.
Refer him to these and he will see what men are doing.
There is also a guilt "Broadway Men's Qulting Academy" They meet once a week. We are out there in greater numbers than the public knows about.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

There was a newspaper story recently about a cross country trucker who quilts during his wait/down time from the road.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Tell him not to be shy, my husb used to do petit point and tapestry in wool, did some super cushions and pictures and used to go to a shop for wool and there used to be a farmer do the same but in silks as the wool "caught" on his rough fingers!
My old boss was a WONDERFUL embroiderer too,better than any woman I've seen, so tell him to get going and give it a go!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM

http://www.rickytims.com/

http://modalissa.blogspot.com/2010/0...doug-leko.html
I have met Doug Leko, nice young man with great talent.
I know their are tons of male quilts. I'd say go for it.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM

One of the best quilt shows/displays I have ever seen was an all male show at the museum in Paducah Kentucky.