Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I doing this right? >
  • Am I doing this right?

• Am I doing this right?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Your half star looks great, it is just how it is suppose to be. Your points are 1/4 inch in from the edge, the middle also looks like it will match right. When you go to sew the borders on, be sure you have the star block on top and the border on the bottom, so you can watch your points and not cut them off. I love your choice for the borders, the quilt will look so cheery. Great job.
    Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM
    Power Poster

You have already gotten tons of answers on how well the points look. Let me give you a little feedback from what I have learned over time.

Perfection is overrated. No matter how hard you try, fabric and patterns have a mind of their own, and there will be inconsistencies in the blocks. Just accept that and move on. Having a quilt FINISHED is such a wonderful feeling and something to be proud of, particularly for a newbie.

Do not judge the top by every seam that is off a bit or a corner that is cut off. I promise you that the final and quilted quilt will absorb these problems. When we work on our blocks, our mind't eye will automatically go to all those spots we KNOW we goofed up. The little problems will not jump out at you when the quilt is DONE.

My personal rule is that I take blocks apart twice when the seam is off. If on the third try it is still wonky, it stays! Generally, after I wash the quilt I am hard-pressed to find these spots and honestly, I stopped looking for them a long time ago.

Why are you so hard on yourself? Just hang out with us on the QB and we will help you bring the fun into your quilting world.
    Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM

You are doing just FINE. Keep up the good work. Take a deep breath, make a sandwich out of it, and quilt it, bind it and gift it to a new baby to be cuddled in.
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Well Carol, you need to take ten deep breaths and remember quilting is a joy and then relax and enjoy the moment. I am a champion ripper and my points never come out as even as yours. I rip like a champion but my quilts still have special spots that are not perfect. I just bet everyone loves your quilts and never sees any errors.
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM

You are doing a good job and the block looks perfect.
    Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Yes! this looks great!!! Don't keep taking quilt tops apart. Use each one as learning tool. If you don't have someone to give them to.Watch for families who are in need or a family that had a house fire. Donate to them.
    You are going to be you're worst critic. you are working with you nose 6 " from your projects and can see things that no one else can ever see. #1 you must enjoy what you are doing ! #2 have fun! #3 you can make your quilts any way you wish! It's an art form! #4,5,6 enjoy your self !!!! you are making this way ,way,to hard!!!
    Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Looks great to me, a good start. Lucky you being in Colorado. love it.
    Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by huggabug123
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Carol. I live in Colorado about 30 minutes from the beautiful Rocky Mountains. I have put together sooo many quilt tops and taken apart sooo many quilt tops and struggled for years with quilting. I am sure I have made at least 10 to 20 tops and taken each and everyone of them completely apart because I just wasn't sure of them. I don't have any family that lives nearby and I currently don't know anyone nearby that quilts. My husband was starting to get frustrated with me and he suggested that I look for some help and get up and over this mountain that I seem to be climbing. I promised my husband that this would be the year that I learn to quilt from start to finish ~ even if I have to pull out a bazzillion or more stitches.

So, here I am...I am currently waiting for the start of a quilting class and I am currently working on a top for what I hope turns into a baby quilt for my husband's cousin. This quilt is supposed to have a huge star in the middle of it. Then it will be framed with two different widths of border and then binding. I am enclosing a photo in hopes that some of you might take a look at what I have done so far and give me some feedback.

Are my squares and points lined up close enough? Am I on the right track? I really need all the help I can get right now, so I thank you all in advance for your feedback, both positive and negative.

~Carol~
    Carol, Your points and corners seem to be matching perfectly. Gotta stand back a little and be less critical of your work. We are all like that and sometimes it's hard, but there's no reason to take this apart too. I can't imagine taking apart all the quilt tops I've made. I've taken some seams out and fixed the match points, but the whole thing????????????? Girl, you gotta pm me when you get in this mood!!!! I'll help you past that point of frustration!!!!!! PS I live in Englewood. Ellen
    Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Your piecing is very good!!! Good for you. I like your selection of fabrics. Good job!!
    Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 PM

Hi, how ironic that you live in Loveland. My daughter,who is a quilter also lives in Loveland. She isn't on this board. So, happy to have you.