Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually have sewing studio/room >

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

Old 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM

We have a 3 bedroom house. Thank goodness our children live very close as I use 1 bedroom for my sewing studio and my husband uses the other as a music studio. I would move to the living room since we don't use it but it is one of those open concept houses built about 30 years ago and has no walls except the front and side of the house.

mltquilt
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM

My sewing room is 1/3 of the basement. Some shelving/storage racks, the ironing board stays up and I have pegboard on the wall to hang items. There is a hanging clothes bar, one that is used in a car. Hubby suspended it from the ceiling.
Now here's the kicker: My cutting table is a regulation slate top pool table with a huge formica top from a manufacturing company that went out of business. I clear-taped a fabric 1 1/2 yard tape measure along one side for quick measuring and Hubby made me a T-square that fits over the end of the top for absolute straight marking.
But there is a down-side. When the temps go below 15 outside the basement is just waaaayyyy to cold to work in.
Oh and I keep a dehumidifier right beside my machines.
Just wish I had a couple large windows for natural light.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Jim

When we built this house we made sure that one of the extra bedrooms were big enough to hold our 13 ft quilting machine and an additional machine I use only as a binding machine. The computer also shares the room so when I want to sew I go into the living room put up a couple tables and SPREAD OUT. I do have my stash in the large closet in the sewing/computer room thats also spills under the quilting and binding machines...would be nice to build on and c double the size of the room.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM

I have a sewing room and a craft room (for card making and scrap making and stamping). They used to be the kid's bedrooms. LOL- they are grown up and moved out...
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM

My sewing room was a bedroom also. It is plenty big for me to work in and I can keep my ironing board up all the time. If it gets messy, I can close the door. But I love it, I can go in there and sew, or just sit there and think or listen to music. Once in awhile DH will come in and sit and talk. He is my biggest supporter!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
I was in progress of converting a 3rd bedroom, until my nephew needed a place to stay....As soon as he moves, then I will have a room dedicated for my sewing, plus it will need to serve as a guest room...Right now my cutting table, machine/table, ironing board, ect., is all in my bedroom...Trying to navigate is quite challenging at times...lol

San
FL
I had the same thing happen to my sewing room. Our nephew moved in with us for a year. When he moved out, I reclaimed it with my long-arm, but now, my son really wants the downstairs guest room. I have thought about taking over his current bedroom, but I want to still have a guest room, so I just let him sleep down there. I was using my laundryroom, but it was too small, so I took over our formal dining room while my dh is deployed. I know when he returns, he won't like the clutter and mess in there, so I will be back in my laundryroom trying to use the limited space. My kids are 6 and 9, so I have a ways to go before I get to claim a bedroom for my own. (I have thought about having my son's room double as a guest room and he just has to sleep on the couch when we have company, but my dh is not okay with that. He thinks I am being selfish for wanting a room of my own. (Considering I make as much money as he does so I equally own this house and he doesn't need as much space for his hobby as mine, I think he is the one being selfish.)
Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM

I was very blessed to have built a new home this past June, and hubby gave me a big, beautiful room with tons of windows. Love love love it. Here's some pictures: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78470011jjMxMP

It's much more 'lived in' now 6 months later. Some of these pictures makes it look empty! I sew on all treadle & hand cranks, so when I picked out the light fixtures I chose all 'old fashioned' looking ones. I wish I had more time to be in there!

I'm a very blessed girl...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM

I have always had an area of some sort (before I had part of a master bedroom or part of a huge laundry room. Now I have half a one car garage (very cold)).
Old 02-09-2011, 06:25 PM

I do have a whole room now. My first space for many years was my machine set up in the laundry room. Then my boys went off to college. (both married now) My husband left after 24 years and I had a room for my sewing. A few years later I remarried, gave up my sewing room for one of my husbands kids. Now his kids are gone and I have my room back. The house is way too big for the two of us. Looking to sell and build or buy smaller, but planning the basement for my sewing room, so I can get my longarm. I could have the basement in this house, but we don't heat it in the winter and it stays at about 55 degrees. Burrrrrr
Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM

i have 2 rooms ..bedrooms now sewing room ...an other one for the longarm