Rotary cutter accident

Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by tryitall
OHHHHH! I feel for you! Last week (i was in a hurry) my fabric jammed in the plate. I was trying to get it out. I still had my foot on the feed. Yep, sewed my finger! Hit the edge of my nail on the side, all the way thru and stuck! I had to hand turn the machine to get the needle to come out. Then had to cut the thread. Hollered for hubby several! times. Told him that when I took the pressure off of my finger to pull the thread out. I really SEWED my finger.
Yik! I did that once too! It was awful, stitched right through my finger!
and did not have a hubby or anybody to help rescue me!
Luckily, it healed fast...although it was odd to have neat little holes in my nail until they grew out, and now, I seem to have eyes in the ends of my fingers... too close, and I let go automatically....even though the machine keeps stitching. Luckily I have an Elna that stitches straight by itself mostly, until the machine has time to stop.
I keep some wooden barbeque skewers laying alongthe side of my machine, handy to pick up and use to guide the fabric in tiny tight places.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by AAD
Something I have found that I think makes it safer to work with the rotary cutter especially with younger teens is the safety bar that is suppose to go in the bathroom to help get in and out of the tub or shower. it attaches to the ruler and keeps your hands away from the cutter plus you can hold it more securely in place.
You mean one of those handles, with levers on the ends to squidge it down on the plastic rulers, or pane of glass or side of the bath?
They sure do make it easy to keep the ruler from slipping!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Several guilds I have belonged to instantly fined a member 25 cents, right then and there if she laid an open cutter down on the table!

Works very well too....now even at home alone, if I see an open cutter on the table, automaticaly pick it up, close it and I think "Oops - owe a quarter!

...to whom?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Dee

Get well hugs being sent to you. Hope you'll get well soon.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 AM

I am feeling much better now and I have ordered a Klutz glove. I will not be cutting without using one as this happenend so quick. The ruler slipped and my finger got in the way.When I stop using my rotary cutter I automatically lock it. I will be doing the same with the glove, when I cut it goes on. I have learned my leason the hard way. Thank you for all your good wishes
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 AM

Hi. Sorry and ouch. Heresbabhint for other. I walk aroumnd my house bare feet in winter I wear socks. Always wear shoes when rotary cutting. I dropped t while cutting one day and barely jumped out of the way
Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 AM

quilty hugs hope you are better soon
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by rutthy
Hi everyone. I have just got back from the hospital after having cut the top of my index finger of with the rotary cutter.I am feeling a bit sore and feeling how can Ihave been so silly
I know how you feel. I have had several stitches as a result of a blade cut. It can happen so fast!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:01 PM

So sorry, hope you are feeling better.

We learn from our mistakes, don't think that will happen to

you again.

:-( :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 PM

I cut the side off of mine and some of the side of my nail along with it. We were living in this little tiny town in NM. No clinic, no dentist, not even a vet. Just layed down and held it up in the air till hubs got home. Want to hear something funny? He is an OR nurse but he was working in a different town. Kept telling me I was going to have to have a skin graph I had cut it so bad. Dug my heels in and took my Stress Tabs with Zinc and you wouldn't believe how fast it healed. Dentist told me about those and they are amazing to help heal wounds. Might give them a try. Take care.
Robin in TX