Newbies challenge

Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM

Oh what a good idea. I just signed up today as a brand new quilter and I dearly need to be adopted. Who is willing to adopt a newbie with an expensive Babylock.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Pick me, Pick me! My first quilt wasn't even square enough to fold. Now, I am able to follow directions. I did finish a quilt-in-a-day, but it took me 2 1/2 years to do it. I need someone who knows something about machine quilting to teach me how to do something more than stipple. That's where I am.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM

I am up for adoption also.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 AM

I would really like to have a new home also. I can sew a semi straight line with just a small amount of ripping out. This is almost like being potty trained so i am told. Pick me please.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:45 AM

Id be happy to help any newbies. I dont do traditional quilting, Im too impatient and love to try new ways of manipulating fabric. I have a heat gun and have done some fun stuff with manmade fabrics by heating them so they curl or bubble. Also, I like to shread fabrics for Art Quilts , pillows, wall hangings, etc.
If I make a quilt block, I usually use the paper piec
ing method. In the past , I havent had good luck with piecing small blocks together. They never come out straight or the correct size.
I dont like to spend too much time on a project. There is always a long list of things I want to try and since Im 70, haha, Id better get a move on.
Im not a perfectionest but am more interested in the end result
Old 02-19-2011, 06:45 AM

I am enrolled in a basic class starting next week that runs once a week for eight weeks. I then plan on taking the intermediate and advanced classes but would like to be adopted if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your consideration.

Rick
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM

Hi Rick, would be happy to help you. like I said, Im not perfectionist and like to make and break the rules. The best advise I can give newbies is , keep and open mind to any and all design ideas and possibilites.
Use colors that you love and then if the project is "ugly" you will still like it for the colors. If you still dont like it , give it to charity. Many folks just want something to wrap themselves in when they are cold . My friends and I used to be part of a large group that got together and made kids quilts for the homeless and other groups such as vets, nursing homes , cancer patients, newborn layettes for single mothers.
Have a great day.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:55 PM

I'm up for adoption. Let me tell you what I have. I have a brother & baby lock Embroidery sewing machines. Would like to learn to make quilts are anything.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM

HI! I'm new to the board and only j2 yrs into quilting. I have designed and made 4 quilts with no pattern and have a 5th designed, but haven't bought all the fabric yet--it's a bear paw quilt. I love to hand quilt, but don't particularly like to piece. Machine quilting with my little machine (and lacking proper attatchments) is a nitemare. Hand quilting is very calming. (I need that with 4 youngns!)

I could probably use some help from an experienced quilter, but I am also willing to help other new quilters.

Kim
Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ttjtmomma
I would really like to have a new home also. I can sew a semi straight line with just a small amount of ripping out. This is almost like being potty trained so i am told. Pick me please.
I'll adopt you if you want... I'm not the most experienced, but i can sew a strait line!:P

kim from GA