Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you really make money with your passion? >

Can you really make money with your passion?

Can you really make money with your passion?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 AM

No, I couldn't. As soon as start doing something I do for an avocation as a vocation, I hate it. I sewed appliqued skirts for a while years ago when they were popular and hated it. i don't quilt for money either. But I do teach, and I like that.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maride
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The best example of making it work is Bonnie Hunter. She started with quilting for others and now is the no 1 sought after teacher, lecturer, and author. She is booked solid for a year in advance. If you have the energy, the passion, and the personality, and a DH that isn't your shadow, you can make a big success of quilts as your income
That leaves me out. My DH is right behind me. However, he does some quilting too. So, maybe. Just maybe.......
That part of the husband is not necessarily bad. I can not think of anyone more famous in the quilting world than Alex Anderson, and John is an integral part of who he is. He plays it well and don't interfere, but he is always there. Actually, the company she is with right now is ARJJ (Alex, Ricky, John, Justin). Alex and John are a couple, Ricky and Justin are a couple. It is possible for your spouse to help make your name.
I meant when a DH has to have you with him whatever he is doing or you are doing. (I have friends that can't go to guild without getting phone calls asking when are you coming home) A DH that will help because he wants to will be a bonus!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Mostly one cannot make a living off a handcrafted product. The general population is not willing to pay a decent hourly wage. In this industry the money is in knowledge ie teaching classes pattern development or the mass manufacture of a tool/ gaget. At this point I quilt to relax and keep me in "mad money". Once the kids are in kindergarten I can focus on making some of the ideas in my head marketable.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by allie1448
Both my husband and I quilt and we wanted the opportunity of finishing our tops ourselves so have just invested in a LA and have started a small business. We are not interested (and frankly no where near experienced enough) to quilt others quilts but are offering lessons in the basic use of the machine and then clients can rent 'time' on the machine to finish their projects, with us around to offer any help or advise. This will not be a huge income for us but will keep the machine in use while we make up our projects and will give us a little income to put towards the cost of the machine. One other HUGE bonus is we are making friends as we go!
I like that idea! I also love the quilt in your avatar!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM

I don't sell any. If I sold them and had to take orders then my passion and fun would become WORK. And I don't want to work. At 63 I just want to make for my family and friends.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM

Where do you think the best place online would be to sell our lap quilts, runners, etc.? I know about ebay and etsy...are there any others?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 AM

o my. i was afraid to see were this topic would go, but appearz to be g-rated.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Where do you think the best place online would be to sell our lap quilts, runners, etc.? I know about ebay and etsy...are there any others?
In addition to eBay and etsy, some other potential sites are:
artfire.com
bigcartel.com
ecrater.com
your own website
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Years ago I wanted to purchase a LA machine and start a business. Unfortunately, I didn't have the space at the time to house the machine. So, instead I started a decorative concrete business, where at least the tools of the trade can be stored outside. And one HUGE thing I've learned is that no matter how closely you try to figure expenses, they will always be much larger than anticipated. Once you purchase the expensive equipment, will others be willing to pay to keep you working to capacity? And after expenses, how much do you really make an hour? And now that you're self-employed, you're probably no longer contributing to social security, you may not be able to afford health insurance, etc. etc.

I love what we do with concrete, and I still hope one day to be able to purchase a LA machine. However, I have no illusions whatsoever about being able to make money with it!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ConcreteSher
And now that you're self-employed, you're probably no longer contributing to social security,
If you're self-employed, you pay social security and medicare contributions directly to the IRS as self-employment taxes on net income over $400 (Schedule SE).