Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washed or unwashed fabric? >
  • Washed or unwashed fabric?

• Washed or unwashed fabric?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Sorry to beat a dead horse, Patrice, but we do have lots of wonderful new members and newbies to quilting. And this is the ultimate quilting question, isn't it? LOL!

I thought these articles were interesting:

http://www.quiltersbuzz.com/2005/11/..._fabric_o.html

http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...are-quilts.htm

And if you have a lot of time: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...h+quilt+fabric
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:08 PM

The only other thing I will add (as of now anyhoo) is how you start you want to continue. I wouldn't think you would want half of the fabric washed and the other half not. Correct?

As to the name of the quilt in my picture. Oh man... I borrowed a book from a friend to make this quilt. I will have to see if I can come up with it and let you know.
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM

That's an excellent point, Echoes! If you wash or not wash, you might want to keep it consistent with each quilt.
    Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
    Banned

Your quilt is a Buzz Saw quilt, Echoes, and a very nice one. Good work. :oops:

I prewash, primarily to remove the chemicals and unknown grunge from being handled by countless people before I rescued it. The shrinkage and dye running is an extra bonus as far as I am concerned. I don't care for stiff, crisp fabric because I have had some that is still stiff after washing and that just doesn't seem right. However, I do not wash it before I am ready to use the fabric because I know many prefer it unwashed and I never know when I will be sending some off to a new home.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Early on I had some burgundy bleed and ruin corners on a quilt. I always wash fabric as soon as it comes in. If I want it stiff again, I'll starch it. Occassionally, I will get charm packs and just rinse them in the sink. If a piece is miscut or looks like it may ravel, I'll put it in a lingerie bag before washing.

Anyone who doubts that colors run should use a color catcher just once. There are tons of loose color that may not streak, but could leave your colors drab.
    Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM

I see a lot of references here to "with color catchers." What does this mean? Is there a specific product, or is it a technique, or something else?
    Sorry to be so dense. :oops:

Bernice
    Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM

I'm wondering what a color catcher is too...
    Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Color catchers are made by SHOUT and are like a cloth you put in the wash and it catches the colors that might run. You can find them in the laundry isle in the grocery store or Wal-Nart. Come in a small box.
    Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM

More than the bleeding and shrinkage, I launder imported fabrics to get rid of chemicals - especially pesticides.

But....

I have two red and white quilts on my bed. ALL of the fabric was prewashed. Some pieces were done twice. I believed I had completely bled it out, but now I have red, white and pink quilts. Not even from washing... presumably just the humid summers!!! :evil:

Also, I have worked in quilt shops. Those fabrics shrink. Some Moda fabrics had 8% shrinkage. The flannels shrunk to 38" - 39" wide (including selvedges).

Still, my primary concern is the nasty chemicals.
    Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Depends on the fabric for me. I've been working with panels and handkerchief cheater squares lately and didn't wash those so they'd be easier to cut on the straight lines. Still working on getting these done so the jury is out as to whether or not this was a good idea.

Recently I found a fat quarter bundle on sale but debated about buying it since the colors looked so drab. Got it anyway and after washing the colors brightened up to just what I needed. Must have been really dusty from sitting around for a while.

I always prewash reds and other bright colors that are combined with white.