Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you like best and least about your sewing space? >

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

What do you like best and least about your sewing space?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 PM

I replied to the design wall question, but not what I like best and least about my sewing space. My sewing space is scattered, one room upstairs and two downstairs. Upstairs is where I machine piece and do machine embroidery and keep and use my ironing equipment. That sewing machine gets the best lighting, from both windows and an overhead shop light. Without that shop light on, I really cannot see as well as I need to. In the basement, one room is basically taken up with a 4' x 8' cutting table (with large storage unit underneath) and fabric/notions/book storage. I have 2 sewing machines and a serger in that room and set them on one end of the cutting table to use them as needed. In that room, I've removed the closet doors and have a large chest of drawers in the closet for storage. I also have 2 spring action shower rods across the closet opening where I hang pressed things such as binding, borders, etc. In another downstairs room I have an aluminum 12' Grace Frame with a high speed sewing machine; I am still in the practice mode with that frame and machine. Both the downstairs rooms also have good overhead fluorescent lighting. What I like best about all of it is that I don't have to put anything away; I cover stuff with old bed sheets to keep the dust off, but everything remains available for me to work on whenever I can. What I like least is that my husband thinks I am a space hog and periodically complains about it.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 PM

I love the fact that I can make a BIG mess , close the door and walk away! We just finished our new house and I actually have a room to myself (have to share with the once a year guests at Christmas!) with lots of light, 13' x 13' (is that big enouf for a long arm??) :lol: , plenty of storage in an 8' closet with floor to celing shelves, cable T.V. and fun squirrels to watch out the window. HATE - the fact that we bot shelving for the garage today and lots of garage stored quilting things ended up in my clean quilting room... Just when I thot I had it all organized and put away.... back to sorting out the mess. BUT it is a REALLY good way to organize things so guess in a round abt way - it's a GOOD thing! ...
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Faith: I have a wool blanket that I hang across the bookcase/shelves in my sewing room and use that for a design wall. It's completely portable, can be taken down and put away or put back up for use in a seconds time and it's very, very handy. \
WHAT I LIKE THE MOST ABOUT MY SEWING ROOM:
I love having a room that is all mine to play in and when I'm done I can close the door and nobody sees the messes I can make in short order. My computer is right next to my sewing machine, my ironing station is right on the table next to the sewing machine and the cutting table is on the other side of the sewing machine so I don't have to get up and down or run around the house to do each of these things.

WHAT I LIKE THE LEAST ABOUT MY SEWING ROOM:
It's a medium-large bedroom converted to my sewing room but there still isn't enough room for everything. I wish I had more storage area for the bolts of fabric but I'm not going to complain.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Piecemaker: I like your space...Looks like you have maximized the area to the fullest. Good job.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Of course I want it bigger and better...:-)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Your space looks good! I wish I didn't have to keep non-quilting things in my sewing room. I have large photo boxes and lots of scrapbooking things as well as other craft and hobby items in my all purpose room.
Loretta, are you sure you're not talking about MY house. I have the same situation. I would have ample space if it were not for everything else. But I'm lucky to have that space. When the kids were here, I sewed in my bedroom for a while, then I moved to the dining area (even tried the utility room for a while.) So having a room that I can leave things out while I'm working on them is nice.

I have one of those L-shaped sewing tables that holds 2 machines. I have it arranged so that one part of it goes out into the room (in other words, it's not in a corner). This gives better light and more space when I have to bring a table up to the machine to help support the bulk of a quilt while I am machine quilting. The living room floor or my bed are my "design walls."
Old 01-18-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I just have a little nook in the corner of a bedroom. Its cramped..so I do piece in there, but the quilting has to move to the kitchen table. Come to think of it...my quilting stuff has managed to move all over the house. Maybe someday...

Best...I can shut the door if I need to
Least..not enough room
Sandpat,
Like I said, I had to have a daughter get married to get the room. Then I temporarily lost it for 7 months ( I took in my other daughters friend who couldn't get along at home) Before that I sewed in the wee little corner of the dining room and when I first started I had little ones and I would just put my sewing machine on the counter and sew standing up. SO... progress has been made over the 17 years and it will for you too.
Though I think all of us would sew anywhere rather than give it up!
Deb
Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
Originally Posted by faith
Here are some pictures of mine.. I love the color of the room and the light that comes in there.. AND>. ... that I finally have the room .. had to wait for a daughter to get married!
Least.... my design wall! Pretty sad... what do you use for a design wall?
Deb
Here's what I like best about my sewing room. The drafting table. (I am so bad! I have shared this about 3 times now, but I am just so proud to have it - plus it was free!)

I am so tempted to paint the room aqua, but that means getting everything out first. No thanks.

As for the design wall, you can see mine in the background. I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of foam board - on the drywall aisle. It is an insulating material for walls, but I sprayed it with adhesive then smoothed diaper flannel on it. It so light, and everything sticks to the flannel. The total cost was about $25.
Does your design wall just lean against the wall? I would consider doing that but I think my cats would think it was an extra large scratch toy. They love that room because of the sun.. they sleep wherever it is!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Your space looks good! I wish I didn't have to keep non-quilting things in my sewing room. I have large photo boxes and lots of scrapbooking things as well as other craft and hobby items in my all purpose room.
Loretta,
What I didn't say was the closet is filled with photos, blankets, old school papers, work stuff.... etc...........etc............and so no quilting goes in there. Wish it did :wink:
Old 01-18-2009, 03:21 PM

PLEASE post more pictures! I have a dedicated 12 x14 room but I have more than I can put in it. I need help and ideas in organizing. I do feel a bit isolated from my husband when I sew since he is in the great room. I do my hand quilting and applique there to be with him. I like to quilt like the Amish on a full room but because the cats like the "hammock" I have to stand the quilt up when I am finished.