Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need a book recommendation if you have one! >

I need a book recommendation if you have one!

I need a book recommendation if you have one!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by happymrs
Joan Medlicott writes about the Ladies of Covington. These are great reads too! Check them out!
I second this recommendation. Great series, I've read them all. Do read them in order though.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Originally Posted by damaquilts
The Mitford series. I loved them. Jan Karon is the author. I also love Andrew Greely, especially his Nualla Anne books
I like mysteries. the ones set in things like a resturant or a knitting store or any crafty place. I read a lot . I just like a good story. Janet Evanovich cracks me up. I love her grandmother.
I agree on Janet Evanovich's books about Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter. They are mindless reading, but so entertaining and I have found myself giggling out loud reading them. The first 5 books in her series are my favorite. After that, they got to be just ok. Her grandmother is the highlight of the series - she loves to go to funerals.
These books make me laugh so hard, then I have to reread it to DH. Wish they could clean up the language though.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Have you read: "Saving Cee Cee Hunnycutt" ? At first it tells about her mother's problems, and from there on it is light reading, funny and inspirational-- all at the same time. I read it in two sittings. And am now reading: "The Help" which came highly recommended as well. If you have a Kindle, you can buy books over the wireless and get "instant gratification" ! :)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM

The Union Quilters, the latest of Jennifer Chiverani's Elm Creek Quilt Novels went on sale 2/23!I can't wait to read it!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by redpurselady
Originally Posted by damaquilts
The Mitford series. I loved them. Jan Karon is the author. I also love Andrew Greely, especially his Nualla Anne books
I like mysteries. the ones set in things like a resturant or a knitting store or any crafty place. I read a lot . I just like a good story. Janet Evanovich cracks me up. I love her grandmother.
I agree on Janet Evanovich's books about Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter. They are mindless reading, but so entertaining and I have found myself giggling out loud reading them. The first 5 books in her series are my favorite. After that, they got to be just ok. Her grandmother is the highlight of the series - she loves to go to funerals.
These books make me laugh so hard, then I have to reread it to DH. Wish they could clean up the language though.
I agree on the language - they seem to have gotten worse as the series progressed. That's why the first ones were really good and funny and the others not so good. Don't think the use of foul language was necessary. I stopped reading at book 11. I'd love to see a movie made. Maybe Sandra Bullock as Stephanie and Betty White as the grandmother - that would be a hoot!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kayceee
If you like mysteries, go to www.stopyourekillingme.com . This lists books by authors, characters, occupations, etc.
Great site! And another one is Fantastic Fiction

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

Both are great sites for researching new books and favourite authors.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM

Also try:

www.abebooks.com
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct

Oh, great suggestions!! Thanks so much. I loved Cheaper by the Dozen and other older books, like the Miss Read series and I Capture the Castle.
I read "I Capture the Castle" first when I was a teenager (many, many years ago!) and absolutely LOVED it! I have read it several times since then and still love it! What a good read! Not great literature, but close!

The author, Dodie Smith, was also the author of 101 Dalmations! What a complete difference in styles and stories!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM

The Help. Great book about living in the South in the 60's. Recommending it to everyone.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Do you like Jodie Picoult ?