Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Earleen
I have thread catchers but never seem to get the thread into them. Wondering how you get yours into them. I seem to miss all the time. Ha
Cutoff the top of an empty juice bottle (first I used a 2 liter soda bottle, but it did not hold up to transport. I changed to an Ocean Spray Juice bottle -- the plastic is thicker and harder -- the rectangle shape also works better) and insert it into your thread catcher. It keeps it open and you just remove insert to empty.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 AM

I take light colored scraps of fabric and write the size of needles on it. When working on a project and I need to change to use a different size needle (such as a top stitch needle or a smaller size for batiks) I just pin the needle I just removed from the machine on to this little scrap of fabric. This way I know what needle is in the machine and don't have to worry if I'm using another new needle.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by dhanke
I don't have a light box for tracing patterns etc., but I do have a plexiglass extension table on legs that came with my machine. I flip my ott-lite on it's back and slide it under the extension table, works perfectly.
My second tip is about rotary cutting multiple strips from a single piece of fabric. For example, if I need six strips 2" wide, I first cut a 12" strip with my square ruler, then I slide it over to the 10" mark, cut again, slide it to 8", cut again and so on until I have all 6 strips. It's alot faster and more accurate. If I'm working with a strip width that's not so easy to mentally calculate, such as 1 3/4 inches, I use a calculator to determine the maximum width I can use for the first cut, in the case of a 12 inch ruler it would 10.5 inches. Then I use the calulator to subtract 1 3/4 inches for the second cut and move the ruler to the 8 3/4 inch mark. I continue to use the calculator for each cut because I don't trust myself to figure it correctly in my pea brain!
Probably sounds complicated, but it really saves time when cutting lots of strips.
I do the same thing. I find I don't have to square up my fabric as much. Takes some time to get used to this technique but worth a try.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 AM
JT

Originally Posted by Aurora
I washed an empty juice jug and cut off the top, then inserted it into my thread catcher. I just remove the jug to empty my threads at the end of the day. No more picking loose threads out of the bottomand off the sides of the thread catcher.

Also, I use a tool box for quilt guild and UFO days. Here are photos of my best idea for transporting my quilting gear.
That is a really neat idea. Sometimes it's hard to find the right case for your sewing machine. You found one that works and has wheels and all. Smart!! :)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer
I buy the bright colored pencil erasers from the Dollar Tree. I snip off the part of the erasers that fits over the Pencil. I use the part that is left (kinda-sorta pyramid shaped) when pinning layers together. Stick your long pins through the layers and into the flat part of the eraser. Keeps me from sticking myself with the pins as I work. I am on blood thinners and one stick from a pin results in blood on my fabric.
What a great idea. I'm going to a local quilt show next weekend and was thinking of buying Pinmoors. I imagine the eraser tops are much more cost effective. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 AM

[quote=AngieS]1st: Finding this board. =)
2nd: I use those mole strips that you buy that are sticky on the underside for my 1/4" seam. I just cut a strip and stick it down. Works great!
3rd: I cut my blocks while watching t.v. with dh and safety pin together so when I am ready to sew I just take a stack and lay them all out and sew. This way I can have several ready to go and just sew them up all at once.
4th: I have extra bobbins all ready to go when I get ready to sew. This keeps you going for quite a while without having to stop, wind the bobbin and rethread.
Best thing I ever did.... Bought a Side Winder -- it's a little box, about 3" X 4" -- sits next to my machine. When you need a new bobbin, no need to unthread or re-thread your machine -- just pop a new bobbin and your thread into this little dream, and bam! you're done! I thought maybe $20 seemed a little steep for such a simple thing, but I LOVE it!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:40 AM
JT

Originally Posted by anicra
Originally Posted by fayzer
I buy the bright colored pencil erasers from the Dollar Tree. I snip off the part of the erasers that fits over the Pencil. I use the part that is left (kinda-sorta pyramid shaped) when pinning layers together. Stick your long pins through the layers and into the flat part of the eraser. Keeps me from sticking myself with the pins as I work. I am on blood thinners and one stick from a pin results in blood on my fabric.
What a great idea. I'm going to a local quilt show next weekend and was thinking of buying Pinmoors. I imagine the eraser tops are much more cost effective. Thanks!
Another idea would be to use ear plugs (we have little yellow ones) Maybe check harbor freight. I would think they would be pretty cheap too.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by lisalisa
Another good one I picked up was: keeping band aids next to your sewing machine so when you cut or prick yourself you can bandage it up and be on your way without a hiccup.
i got a bottle of "new skin" its a liquid bandage. great stuff, i keep it in my sewing room & a bottle at work for those nasty papercuts..
it's a little pricey, but dh puts 2 bottles in my stocking every christmas..and i have never run out...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 AM

A friend of mine uses a empty tissue box for thread and tiny scraps then when full just throws it away. We have found out about another person that uses all of the tiny scraps( trimmings from square up etc) as filling in projects so will give her the tissue box when full. I have taped a bag to my cutting table and am putting these into it for her.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 AM

If I was going to do this and I ue pip cleaner for many things. I would put the tiny pony tail holders on the bobins so they wouldn't come unraveld and make a mess. you can get them in big bag at the Dollar Tree store.