Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Wedding Gift Etiquette (sp) >
  • Wedding Gift Etiquette (sp)

• Wedding Gift Etiquette (sp)

Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 AM
    BMP

Originally Posted by bailey
    Thanks everyone. I am feeling a lot better about the gift dilema now. I will go to the shower and get a shower gift. I will RSVP that I am not attending the wedding and forget about it. Whew!!! That's a load off my mind. LOL

This girl is young in more ways than one and really needs a few life lessons. She was angry at her MIL and FIL to be because at Christmas they put things like bath beads and such in her stocking. According to her what should be in your Christmas stocking is jewelry or some such things. Poor, poor girl and poor, poor husband to be.
    I bet the marriage wont last long .... I was invited to a baby shower for my boss when I was working and since it was no secret I did not like her and she didnt like me I refused to go. The 'shower' was being held at work on office time to boot !!!
    Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Right now many of us are on the "I need to pay my bills before I buy you a gift" list. Yes, get something for the bridal shower, something you can afford or go in half with another person, but the wedding gift, nope, you don't HAVE to. This girl is really manipulating people.
    Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
    I believe etiquette rules are that you do not have to give a gift at the wedding if you gave one at the shower.
    I agree. My nephew got nothing from me because he didn't invite me to the wedding (and we were close), and said on the announcement that they wanted cash, and then sent a very preachy letter along with it.
    Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 AM

I would respectfully decline the wedding and not send a gift. I would also stick to my budget on the shower gift. You might be surprised how many people do the same.

Make something...she will never know what it cost...ho,mmmm..:roll:..that could cost more than a purchased gift!
    Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    This is a girl I work with. Do not socialize with her or see her other than at work. Still even wonder why I recieved an invitation. BTW - her wedding invitation also suggested proper attire and which colors she preferred you wear!!

And you're worried about etiquette??????????? :D

I'm sorry, but work with or not I would not take part in such brassiness.
    Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 AM

I would send my regrets. She has no idea on how rude she really is.
    Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 AM

WOW! She sounds a little controlling. If it were me and I planned on going to the shower at all, I would make her a table runner or placemats and napkins (using colors I am sure she has on her request list) and that would be it. I do not think an invitee should be told what to buy or how much to spend and certainly not what color to wear to a wedding. If I chose to not go to the shower (which I probably would choose) I would just send my regrets. Just because one is invited to an aquaintance's shower or wedding it does not mean you are obligated to send a gift. I she is not more than just a coworker, she is just an aquantance as far as I am concerned, not much more than the UPS man or Mailperson!! IMHO kashu
    Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 AM
    BMP

Originally Posted by Roxanne
    Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    This is a girl I work with. Do not socialize with her or see her other than at work. Still even wonder why I recieved an invitation. BTW - her wedding invitation also suggested proper attire and which colors she preferred you wear!!

And you're worried about etiquette??????????? :D

I'm sorry, but work with or not I would not take part in such brassiness.
    AMEN on that !!! I really have issues with people like this ...
    Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM

I wouldnt send a wedding gift and Id pass on the shower too! A gift is just that - something unexpected from someone. Something chosen for a person by another that shows love, concern, and care. Something unique and special that says I care about you and this reminds me of the person you are. When people make lists of what they expect its called a ransom or I call it robbery! Unless this person saved your life somewhere along the line you owe them nothing - not even if its a family member! Esp if its family! of all people, they should know better. sharet
    Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Thank you for your responses. I was getting really worried about how I was going to manage both. Since I will not be attending the wedding I will not worry about a wedding gift and just go to shower and get a shower gift. The shower is being hosted by our place of business so cannot be absent from it.

Have a great evening all,
    If the shower is hosted by your place of business, can you join forces with other employees to buy a group gift?