Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by fivepaws
Originally Posted by Carron
I glued a narrow magnetic strip across the top front of my sewing machine. Then when I am sewing something that has the straight pins and as they approach the needle, I pull them out and stick them onto the magnetic strip. Nothing falling onto the floor or worse into the lap.
I thought that you had to be very careful with magnets around the computerized machines or is that just a tale. ♥
It was only true when computers used floppy disks. No more!
I know a child who decided it would be fun to play with magnets on the new computer monitor. You guessed it, the Mom had to buy a new monitor!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM

I have a 3' x 5' folding table (from Wal-Mart) My DH cut 2 - 2x4's for each end the width of the table - screwed them together and drilled holes (about 1/2 " deep) to fit the table legs into. It raised my table about 3.5 inches and now I don't have to bend as much while cutting. I also spread an old quilt over the top of the table and steam press my work when it gets too long to use the ironing board. Works great.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1Snowbird
Where did you get this tool box from? Is it Rubbermaid or Stanley??
I got mine at Mernards Home Improvement Store. Got it when Stanley had a 25% off sale. I use mine all the time and find it very useful.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Used Sewing Machine Needles, that aren't broke, make wonderful "nails" for hanging quilt projects on walls. I save them in a Tic Tac case.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I use an old drying rack when I'm working on a quilt that has a lot of strips to cut and stitch. I'll stack the same color and size strips on one spot and another color and/or size strips on another spot. It's so easy to grab just the right color and/or size. I used to pile them in a box and it would get all messy..... this is so much better
I also do this when I make a quilt like a Bargello or Trip Around the World. I also put a clothespin on one strip that tells the width of the strip pile when I have several different sizes.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
I've done this too! Just lay down the dental floss and zig zag over it taking care to not catch it in your thread. Then you just draw it up as much as you want. It won't break like regular thread and goes so quick! I keep a package of floss in my sewing box for this at all times!
Good heavens. What a simple solution. I'd never, ever have though of that.[/quote]

Again, You all are brilliant!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

I fill about 20 bobbins at a time, then I place them in the small plastic pill bottles. They fit perfectly and I keep one right next to my machine--no mess, no fuss. I had one of those blue plastic circular bobbin things and never used it so I had to do something else.

The other night I wanted to sew on a different machine and was too lazy to get the cone thread holder, the serger was close--so I just put my cone of thread on one of the thread spindles on the serger--worked perfectly!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM

I have a new one. on the weekend I was trying to figure out color placement on a particular block. Placement was key for the block to work because secondary patterns emerged after blocks were joined. I took photos of different arrangements. My friends here on the board helped narrow it down to 2 choices

light bulb moment--I printed 4 of each arrangement taped them together and voila then could easily see how each would look and made a quick desision
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM

I have one of those heavy metal thread holders for cone thread and it works fine, however I like to use a second cone to wind bobbins, so I hunted up a wide mouth pint jar and put the thread through the hinge on the cover for my sewing machine and away we go. Works just as well as the metal one.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 PM

I save the liners from cereal boxes for pattern making material. The liners are clear or nearly so and you can see through them for fussy cutting and they can be pinned to a fabric many, many times without ripping or falling apart.