Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
So..Whats your "Go To" recipe???? >

So..Whats your "Go To" recipe????

So..Whats your "Go To" recipe????

Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
There are usually just two of us for dinner, if more people come in this is a family favorite. Cook a pound of hamburg with salt and pepper..onion optional. add this to a oven proof dish, add can or frozen corn. Make mashed potatoes, we use instant and this is the third and top layer. I then pop in the oven for 20 min. You can double and triple for more people. There is never any left, its hard not to have seconds.
We do the same except I add 1 can of tomato soup plus taco seansoning pkg. and top with jiffy cornbread mix. Make corn bread as directed plus 1 tbl of sugar and frost top and bake. The sweet and spicy together is a great combo.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 PM

When I don't want to cook (which is OFTEN), this is one of my favorite meals.

I buy the 5 lb. bag of chicken breasts and take out as many as I need. Pre-heat oven to 375. Melt about 2 tablespoons of butter and add Garlic, Onion and Italian seasonings. I use a small brush and paint the chicken -- both sides and then bake for about 40 min. After baking, I like to broil for a couple of minutes until browned.

Make baked potatoes in the microwave.

For a veggie, either salad, or combine one of those cans of tomatoes that have extra stuff in them (I like the one with garlic and onions) with a can of corn. Drain the corn if you're cooking in the microwave.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:35 PM

I keep several cans of different fruit in fridge. Open, drain, :D add some walnuts and flavored yogert. Nice for a different kind of salad or I serve @ Sunday brunch along side a main egg casserole.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Yummy! I'm going to the store on Mon or maybe Tues...so then we'll be ready to try some "new" menus!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 PM

Here's another one I like. I make it from scratch most of the time, but always keep the frozen stuff on hand for a pinch.

Frozen fajita chicken strips
frozen onions and peppers sliced
shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever you have on hand)
flour tortillas (I don't buy frozen, but I freeze when I get home)

fry chicken strips and veggies in skillet. Add a portion to tortilla, and sprinkle with cheese. I sometimes add tomatos on top of that.

Gotta love the fajitas:)

Lynette
Old 02-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Lynette..actually I love those too and do them often...almost exactly like you do!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:27 AM

when the kids were little it was hard to find something that suited 7 appetites. I made "Orphan Food"- my kids name for it because I had to use a huge stock pot because of the quantity.

Ingredients:

hamburger
onion
potatoes
margarine
milk

brown hamburger and onion
boil potatoes and drain

place hamburger and potatoes in stock pot, add margarine and milk. Heat thoroughly. It will make a "gravy" with the milk, potatoes and butter. The chunkiness of the potatoes and the hamburger are the texture.

I don't cook with salt and pepper so you would use it to your taste. Needless to say- my quantities were more like 3 to 4 lbs. of meat, 3 to 4 lbs. of potatoes, 2 sticks of marg. and probably close to a quart of milk. There were never leftovers. Daughters called from college for the recipe and made it for their friends. They loved it.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM

My husband and I are new "empty nesters". Love the easy to do meals - having a hard time cooking for two. Neither of us really like leftovers.....I usually freeze them to eat next month. Thank you for the great suggestions, I have printed out several and plan on surprising my DH with some new meals!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM

2 cans of good chili and corn bread batter on top - bake until corn bread is done - yum yum!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

I know....I only cook for 2 also and its hard. I'm really enjoying this thread :lol: