Online Dating..Opinions.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Just be really careful. I hear many don't tell the truth about themselves. I would really check them out before getting too involved.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A friend of mine is a county extention agent, well educated and got married and taken for the ride of her life. Destroyed her finacially and emotionally. Another lady I worked with married a guy she had talked with on line for over a year and met several times, he then moved to her town for 6 months before they married. A year later he raped her niece and she found out he had been in prison for molesting his own 2 daughters.
Not saying they are all bad but if you make this choice PLEASE be CAREFUL!!!!!......... :thumbdown:
Yes...but....you can have that even with someone off the street. They are all strangers untill you get to know them. Use your best judgement. If it don't feel right leave.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 AM

What the others said...after much soul searching I figured out what I did wrong the first two times. It doesn't matter where you meet someone, be careful. There are predators out there. I live in a community where it is really hard to meet people, so online is the way to meet people here. Met a lot of different types a couple of which are still friends. OK, on with it....I met my DH on the dating site. We lived within 6miles of each other for 5 years before we met. He is the most wonderful man and we complete each other. He supports my quilting efforts.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I'm an old granny from the old school. I think that it can be very dangerous. Please use good judgment and be very careful.
Ditto
Old 03-16-2011, 06:19 AM

PS, more advice.
Do not agree to meet someone without seeing a photo.
Do not agree to meet unless you can verify some info about them,ie, residence, marital status, etc.
Talk on phone before you meet.
Meet in a busy public place, the Ingles parking lot is a good one.
Call a good friend and tell them the details of who you are going to meet, where, what time etc.
Call that friend when the meet is finished and that you are home safe.
Keep your cell phone on you and turned on during the meet.
Let the prospective know that you have told your best friend that they know this information.
Above all trust your "gut feelings" as to whether there is something not quite right about him.
If he won't look you in the eye when he tells you about his life, run the other way fast. He is lying to you.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Another thing, and this is very important....if traveling to Africa for business or is in Africa for any reason...end the communication now or yesterday.
There is a widespread scam going on that involves sending rescue money to Africa. The US can't reach Africa to recover moneys or has no law enforcement agreement with Africa.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Wow! This discussion really took off!! I am so grateful to hear the success stories, and warnings, you all really care! Maybe with all those success stories there is some sort of hope for me...and don't worry-I'll be super careful!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Looks to me like you have a whole lot of people who really care about you and want the very best for you! Aren't we blessed to have each other?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM

I am another onliner. We will have been married for 9 years this August. I have to say, I did go thru' a few frogs before finding this wonderful man. One rule I always kept....I drove myself to any dates. That way, I was always able to leave if it didn't feel right. That being said, for the first face to face with my now DH, not only did I fly 1/2 way across the country, I also went across the border into another country. I still had my backup plan....I have an aunt that lives in the town I flew to. She was my "safe" house if needed. I also had a list of motels in the town I was headed to "across the line". As it turned out, I didn't need any of those safety nets.

Please, use lots of common sense, and trust your gut. Talk LOTS before meeting face to face. And there is nothing wrong with taking a friend with you to at least a first meeting.

Good luck, and be safe.

hugs

Patti
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM

I also met my husband on line. We have been married for 10 1/2 years. He has 6 boys and I have 5 girls.lol