Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Sure do!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
If you have a Singer Featherweight and no case, check at Walmart. I found a softside Ozark Trail 24 can cooler with an expandable top (for sewing supplies) for $13.88 plus tax. There is a hard plastic liner inside the main section of the cooler that is exactly the right size for the Featherweight. It could be lined with felt or soft fabric, but I don't think it will cause any damage to the machine. You could remove it if you don't like it. The expandable section is on top and there is a sturdy webbing strap for easy carrying. Much less expensive than most other cases.
What a great idea! Thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM

I use the tissue boxes, too for scraps etc. I also cut the tissue boxes to the corners, staple them in place to make perfect fat quarter storage. I can see at a glance where each color is. I keep the cardboard squares that 1/4's come on and reuse them for my own cuts of left-over fabric.

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
Lots of good tips! I use an empty tissue box for threads and trash. When it's full, I can just toss the whole thing and get another one! I use a sticky lint roller to clean off threads from my blocks. I pre-wind a box full of bobbins. I use several layers of painters tape to mark my 1/4" sewing line. I keep a bottle of water near my iron. I keep a basket underneath the cutting table for throw-away scraps, a plastic basket on my table for scraps that are usable, when it is full, I cut the scraps into strips and squares. I use a "thread bunny" (don't know how it got it's name!) which is just a scrap to sew onto after sewing pieces. Saves thread. Then I decided to keep a stack of squares or triangles next to my machine and instead of sewing off onto a scrap, I just grab a couple of squares and use those as my "thread bunny." Before you know it, I have a stack of 4 patches for a new quilt!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM

I had this storage idea before I ever started quilting.... With storage space at a minimum and sewing supplies (fabrics esp.) galore... I fill up plastic storage bins. stack 2 together, made a cover for them and that is my end table by my couch. You can't see the mess, but it is right there where i can get to it quickly without having to dig through a storage room. Plus, I didn't have to buy end tables!

Thanks to everyone for the great tips!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Wow last week I was working on a baby quilt went to change my thread and the spendle that holds my thread broke right off. It was the horizontal one on top of a machine. Well Had to set my project aside until I could get somewhere to buy the cone holder. This was driving me crazy and sitting there one night I made a sandwich out of some scrap fabric, threw my thread in a pint canning jar and started quilting. Worked wonderful. Just had to go for a test drive to make sure it would feed out ok. I won't be buying the cone thread holder, my jar works just fine
Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Izy

While free motion quilting, I was fed up with my quilt getting hung up between me and the sewing table..so I rolled a fat cushion up, used a couple of safety pins to hold it and stuck it on my lap...no more hang up :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 AM

I use a silverware drawer organizer next to my machine for keeping my tools for the project in order so I can find things. Scissors, seam ripper, glue stick, bobbins, pins, and my glasses.

Speaking of glasses, I went to the dollar store and bought 6 pair of glasses, I have to have the 2.50 strength. Now, I can see black thread on black material. lol
I have 2 pair by my sewing machine, a pair by the computer, one in my purse for reading the menu when we go out to eat, one in the container for helping the kids with their homework, etc. works for me.
Syl
Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 AM

I took a 2 inch piece of sticky back velcro, the loopy side, and put it on the "back" side of my sewing machine right behind the presser foot. After you sew a seam, you pull the thread up an cut it. Get into the habit of pushing the thread back onto the velcro, and the loops will hold the thread when you start to sew again, and this will stop the messy little nest of thread. The velcro acts like a third hand.
Syl
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
I buy the bright colored pencil erasers from the Dollar Tree. I snip off the part of the erasers that fits over the Pencil. I use the part that is left (kinda-sorta pyramid shaped) when pinning layers together. Stick your long pins through the layers and into the flat part of the eraser. Keeps me from sticking myself with the pins as I work. I am on blood thinners and one stick from a pin results in blood on my fabric.

Another similiar idea is to buy a package of ear plugs (at WM in the pharmacy dept) cut these in 1/2 and put them on the ends of the pins. These are the QB's version of Pinmoors. They work great!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, ALL for the many wonderful ideas. I have just sat here (while at the hospital with our DD, again) and read all 35 pages of terriffic ideas. I'd say atleast 1/2 if not more, I had never thought of, or heard of before. I copied and pasted the ones I wanted to use and will print them off and share them with my quilting sisters.
I even shared one idea (above) that I had seen somewhere else on QB but yet did not see it on this thread.
Thanks again for all the great ideas!