Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Hi I do my quilting on Brother sewing machine. I use a walking foot.I have made 11 full size quilts so for. my grown kids and allo my grandkids have one.Someday i would like to have a long arm machine.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Janome 6600P to FMQ and SID. Lap size is a piece of cake. Larger will work is batting is not too thick. I have a large throat on this machine. Accufeed foot built in is the same as a walking foot. This is a great machine.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM

I quilt on my home regular sewing machine - a Janome. I am a QAYG for the most part and have been able to do up to a queen sized on my own machine.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by vschieve
Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by vschieve
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is a ppl?
Its an abbreviation for 'people' - sorry, laziness on my part! :lol:
I would have never guessed it! I was trying to think of the 3 separate words that would fit in. Thanks!
:lol: Oh now you've got me thinking of what else it COULD stand for! 'Perfectly Perfoming Lady'? 'Piecing Perfection Logically'? :mrgreen: :lol:
I like BOTH!! Maybe we can get them on the acronym list!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:06 PM

I do machine quilt, although not well and with much stitch ripping but I persevere.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM

I am a hand quilter. There is a technique where you make your blocks and cut your batting and backing in blocks to match. You do the quilting, using a machine would be much easier with these small blocks. When you put together your blocks you sew through all layers and add a strip to the back. The strip gets sewn down over the seam allowances in much the same way as binding a quilt. When you are done the back has strips horizontally and vertically.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Machine quilt on my Viking 855 with a 10" throat
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM

I have quilted a double bed size on my singer using its ordinary foot, and just did SITD. Even that was difficult because of the small area in which to work. Doing the quilting in sections works best, and starting in the center helps keep things straight and in line.

I am fortunate to have a sister who owns a long arm. She can load it really well, but has a great deal of trouble getting it to sew consistently well. I have trouble loading it, but can get it to sew pretty well most of the time. Together we are a good team! On the long arm, I have quilted a king-size for my son and his wife (pictured in my avatar), a single size for my daughter, and just tonight finished a queen-size for a friend.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 PM

I quilted on my janome 9500, also done a full size one on my little janome jem! I have my singer 15 all ready to go to fm on a turning twenty quilt. Haven't even tried my singer 301 yet for fm. I have no desire for a long arm.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
I machine quilt with my Viking Megaquilter. I have it set in a table, not on a frame. I learned to mq on my first Viking and a Pfaff with good results. But the larger arm space of the Megaquilter makes all the difference. :)
I too have a viking megaquilter which I just bought in December! I have not tried to machine quilt a quilt yet, but have done a few "practice sandwiches", some good, some bad. I have purchased some stencils to use on my first big quilt and will practice on sandwiches first! Sounds like my new machine will work well. (I'm from Texas too and love your avatar...)