Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Postage Stamp Quilts >

Postage Stamp Quilts

Postage Stamp Quilts

Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by natalieg
I have always admired these quilts. My understanding is that they are made with 1 1/2" squares, finishing off at 1". I had been collecting 1 1/2" squares forever when I discovered that I had to prewash all my fabric. I had MANY other already cut sizes and decided to PIF them here and start over again. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an Accuquilt die that is 1 1/2" square, so they will all have to be cut out again by hand.

What I am curious about is do you use any and all cotton fabrics, or do you mix pastels and darks, anything goes, or kind of stick with one type of thing? I want to make one but since I am starting over with scraps again, it will be awhile away.
Whoever told you this fabric had to be washed was somebody who prewashes their fabric. I have never prewashed my quilting fabric and lots of other people don't either. And use whatever colors strike your fancy. froggyintexas
Sorry, I didn't mean to make people think that I have to prewash because I was told to by a prewasher....I have extreme allergies to the formaldehyde in the fabric and have to prewash (doublewash) all my fabrics before they are allowed into the sewing room. I can make it in a quilt shop about 15 minutes before it starts affecting me there.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 PM

Thank you natalieg for reposting the intent of this thread. Boy did it ever take on a life of it's own! :roll:

I'm working on 2.5" inch squares for a scrappy quilt and I have everything but the kitchen sink in there as to color and types of fabric. Will be very interesting when done I think.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:47 AM

I would use only 100% cotton in my PS quilt. I don't like the way polyester feels. So sorry about your allergies...but I think it is neat that you used all your hard work to bless other quilters here by giving away your squares. :thumbup:
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I love the postage stamp quilts too! Grea way to use up those tiny pieces!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 AM

I made one...but I cut 1 1/2" strips and sew 8 together, then subcut into 1 /1/2" strips...then attached 8 of those strips into a block...then attached the 8" blocks together. I put my strips (before sewing into 2 bags..one dark, one light and alternated sewing one dark strip and one light strip to get the effect that I wanted. Just be sure that when you are sewing strips together the with each strip you attached you alternate the direction that you sew them so that you do not end up with a curved piece. I used many fat quarters that had been collected over time.

Hope this makes sense.....Good luck
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM

I've made many postage stamp quilts but I have never tried to sew 1-1/2" squares together. That's an extremely difficult thing to do. Far better, as the lady above suggested, to cut 1-1/2" strips, sew a number of strips together and them cut them into 1-1/2" pieces. Make a number of strips, then start sewing the strips together. My only self-imposed "rule" is to avoid putting a square of fabric where it would be touching a square of the same fabric. Good luck! I think it's fun! (And no, I don't prewash my fabrics.)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM

If I felt that the fabric just had to be washed, which I don't believe it does, I would toss the cut pieces into my salad spinner with some soap, and give that baby a whirl, I'd rinse it a few times the same way and then lay them out to dry on a towel. If there were many, I would do them in batches. Starting over wouldn't be one of my options.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Here is the detail of one of the PS quilts I've done (I just finished my sixth one -- I've been told I'm not right). I do not strip piece; these were sewn together square by square. I mix all fabric types and colors. Whichever I pulled out, that was the fabric I used next. And, most of the fabrics were not prewashed. I was a little nervous about one of the reds, but I gave it a blast of steam on a white towel and no color transfer, so I used it. My next one is going to be black and white I think. Its going to be your quilt, so use whatever pleases you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-173502.jpe
Views:	874
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	173508  
Old 03-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by natalieg
I have always admired these quilts. My understanding is that they are made with 1 1/2" squares, finishing off at 1". I had been collecting 1 1/2" squares forever when I discovered that I had to prewash all my fabric. I had MANY other already cut sizes and decided to PIF them here and start over again. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an Accuquilt die that is 1 1/2" square, so they will all have to be cut out again by hand.

What I am curious about is do you use any and all cotton fabrics, or do you mix pastels and darks, anything goes, or kind of stick with one type of thing? I want to make one but since I am starting over with scraps again, it will be awhile away.
I separate into lights and darks. I feel that since the pieces are so very small, they really need contrast If something is very medium or muddy, I don't use that fabric.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meemersmom
Here is the detail of one of the PS quilts I've done (I just finished my sixth one -- I've been told I'm not right). I do not strip piece; these were sewn together square by square. I mix all fabric types and colors. Whichever I pulled out, that was the fabric I used next. And, most of the fabrics were not prewashed. I was a little nervous about one of the reds, but I gave it a blast of steam on a white towel and no color transfer, so I used it. My next one is going to be black and white I think. Its going to be your quilt, so use whatever pleases you.
Fantastic quilt!