Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"New" Postal Regulation is going to cost us more for shipping. >

"New" Postal Regulation is going to cost us more for shipping.

"New" Postal Regulation is going to cost us more for shipping.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Gosh ghee, I keep reading here and this was talked about once before. Postage rates on boxes and envelopes etc. We all want the least expensive rate for mailing that is a given. But also we want our mail to arrive in good shape. Over stuffing a box or envelope risks the chance of ruined contents if not lost parts. Many complaints are aimed at the postal carrier or office when packages are some damaged or worse, but we have to take responsibility for how we package them. If the postal clerk says the package cannot be mailed because of excess stress to the package, we should be happy for their concern. Money is tight these days for sure and spending wisely is the rule. A package delivered in tact is worth more than one ripped and contents ruined or soiled. A little more spent for ease of mind is worth the price and I am not rich, just practical.
Agreed, we are the ones who are responsible for placing the article into the envelope/box for shipping. I would rather step up to a larger size so that the package is not stressed than to risk having it torn when it arrives at the destination.
It will cost a tad more, however, the contents WILL BE IN TACT and safe.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM

The postal service is for the birds !! We sent a pkg. to Pa. on the 17th, and my brother still has not received it. It's probably laying in a po somewhere and the employees don't know what to do with it.
Dodee
Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
They have new regulations for 1st Class Mail as well. A 6x9" envelope which is the size that patterns fit in can go for 1st Class postage, but, if it is more than 1/4" thick, it has to go for the "large envelope" rate which is $.80 for 1st oz. They have a heavy cardborad measuring devise that if your envelope does not "fall" throught the slot, it does not meet the thickness requirement.

This is nothing new. I was given this template when I started working for the USPS in 2004.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 AM

No other words for it...... THAT SUCKS!!!!!! As I reply to this, the ad itself is on TV!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 AM

they have had the thickness requirements for a long time. Nothing new.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by countrycottage
Sorry if I caused offense; I did file a gentle complaint on the USPS web site also. I understand that they must have regulations, I just think they should be made publice BEFORE the PO employees are asked to begin enforcing them.
You did not offend me at all. But, Postal regulations do not happen overnight. The clerk behind the window could also have been misinformed by their supervisor or requested payment for a service that was not yet in affect, that is why you need to follow up with consumer affairs or that 1-800 number I posted and always, always ask for a receipt. As with any company we (the PO) are struggling to make ends meet and there has been some information in the news these past few days about restructuring and downsizing. The PO is self sufficient - NO tax dollars pay the salaries of Postal employees. As more and more people use the internet (I'm guilty) it takes away postage and therefore, costs go up and staffing goes down. There was a study done (unofficially) that for every penny that gas goes up, it costs the PO $1 million dollars. We have a huge fleet of vehicles and gas for planes, etc. I myself appreciate that all of you use the PO to mail your packages. Happy Quilting....
Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 AM

I noticed that the cost of the Flat Rate boxes has increased also.....$4.95 is now (I believe) $5.25
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 AM

Anything sent from overseas to the US that is over 458gm gets slugged an extra $9 postage. Why? Because anything over that weight has to be put in bombproof containers in the US for 48 hours before it can be processed!

The world has gone mad.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Is it possible that the postal service is trying to say, hey the flat rate envelopes are NOT made for things other than paper? Common sense, do you want your parcel to arrive safely in one piece or have the package torn where things have vanished?
The postal service is protecting themselves here by trying to make it safer for the customer to mail things. Accidents do happen! I had ordered some items from a store on the west coast, it arrived torn - was a bubble envelope, should have been a flat rate box! It was overstuffed, no wonder it tore. Everything was there, but still.
I think perhaps that is what the postal service is trying to prevent so that mail gets delivered properly.

I think the real problem is the pricing: the box that fits about the size of the flat envelope is more than twice the price of the flat envelope. That's big money if you send a lot of packages, and really leads a lot of customers to seek the cheapest route possible.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Our commercials are now showing that flat rate $4.95 mailer is for documents now.
Why on God's green earth would I spend almost $5 to mail a document when I can use a manila envelope and mail it for about a dollar....Sounds like the expression "going postal" has taken on a new meaning.