Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Inexpensive Sewing Table >
  • Inexpensive Sewing Table

• Inexpensive Sewing Table

Old 04-01-2011, 03:53 AM

I think it's terrific. A good alternative to the pricey sewing tables.
    Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 AM

Wow! You did a great job. When will it be possible for us all to place orders?
    Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 AM

I Like the table. I am going to do this once I find an easy way to open the bobbin case without having to have a hinged insert or such like.I don't have drop in bobbins on any of my machines. My favourite machine has the bobbin opening sideways (i.e. to the left) at the end of the free arm. Any ideas?
    Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 AM

wow - it's really nice!!! Think you might have started a little side line now....
    Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 AM

Years ago I had my husband cut a space in the top of a cheap writing desk and made a shelf for my machine to sit in. He got a piece of masonite and we used it on top of the desk when I wasn't sewing. If you have an old desk or see one in a thrift store, fix it up and you have a nice space in which to work and store your things. Wish I still had that old desk.

Carol J.
    Old 04-01-2011, 04:38 AM

Wow, I'm impressed.
    Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I Like the table. I am going to do this once I find an easy way to open the bobbin case without having to have a hinged insert or such like.I don't have drop in bobbins on any of my machines. My favourite machine has the bobbin opening sideways (i.e. to the left) at the end of the free arm. Any ideas?
    If you look closely at the original photo of the table you will see a small lighter colored square on the right, at the back of the machine. This is just a "plug", square that I can drop in to fill the larger opening required to insert the machine in the table.

It is just a piece of the same MDF I used to make the top cut to fit the opening. It is supported by small strips of wood glued to the edge of the opening on the bottom of the table top to prevent the "plug" from falling through the opening.

I would think you could use a similar method, just extend the opening in the top to give you access to change the bobbin and then use a piece of the same MDF to fill the opening when you use the table.
    Old 04-01-2011, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by purvissp
    If you look closely at the original photo of the table you will see a small lighter colored square on the right, at the back of the machine. This is just a "plug", square that I can drop in to fill the larger opening required to insert the machine in the table.

It is just a piece of the same MDF I used to make the top cut to fit the opening. It is supported by small strips of wood glued to the edge of the opening on the bottom of the table top to prevent the "plug" from falling through the opening.

I would think you could use a similar method, just extend the opening in the top to give you access to change the bobbin and then use a piece of the same MDF to fill the opening when you use the table.
    :thumbup: Hi buddy, long time so see. Bet you didn't know that you and your wife had sew many friends did you? We really don't know each other, but I am always looking for a new friend. How much do you charge to ship to California? (Just kidding) Great work.
    Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 AM
    Ida

I think I'll be a copy cat LOL
    Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
    Originally Posted by purvissp

:thumbup: Hi buddy, long time so see. Bet you didn't know that you and your wife had sew many friends did you? We really don't know each other, but I am always looking for a new friend. How much do you charge to ship to California? (Just kidding) Great work.
    Sorry, but I don't ship, but my wife loves to travel and would probably like to visit a few days in sunny California. Maybe you could make a new buddy with her and she could deliver it. (LOL)