Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine? >

Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
No...the insurance company would buy me a new one..lol.

I think I'd grab my laptop (because it has pictures in it) and photo albums...everything else can be replaced.
I think this is what I'd do to. I think about that every-so-often and pray it never happens.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM

When we had out of control fires in our area, we packed the cars with photos, important papers, my sewing machine and serger.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

My husband and any people inside, then the laptops, Great Grandmother's rocking chair and all my customer's quilts I am working on.
Then I'd worry about photos, and other paperwork.

My machines and business are insured.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM

If there were no time I'd grab the medicines and the fur babies. A little more time and I'd grab the pictures and computers. More than that I'd grab my quilts and my machine along with office documents. Everything else is just stuff. Heck, its all stuff.... just the degree of hardness in replaceing it.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM

pets, medicine, important papers,sewing machines, jewerly making supplies,laptop
Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM

We had a ground fire about 20 years ago and almost lost our house. Actually our house is the first one our volunteer fire crew saved ever saved at the time. God bless them. I didn't even think of my sewing machines only of my pets, the cat and dogs. They were the first things I stuffed into the car. The cat's eyes were so big and he was so scared, poor kitty. One side of our house got scorched, the flames got that close and one of the windows cracked from the heat. We had some smoke damage but nothing that soap and water couldn't clean up.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
my sister lost everything in a house fire. what she regretted was the pictures. she had shared with our mother so she was able to get copies of most everything. when scanners became available, we scanned all of our pictures. and all of mom's. so now everyone of us has copies of all the old family photos. now we regularlly give cd's of all our photos to each other so if anything happens, there is someone with a copy of all of them.

i would grab a sewing machine if i had time.
This is a really good idea. That way in an emergency you don't have to worry about that stuff at all. Even better, put all the important things on a flash drive and have a trusted relative/person hold it. You could have 2 drives and rotate them as often as you wanted(1-2 time a yr) so it would be really up-to date.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Pictures are the first thing I would grab. Albumns, baskets and boxes full and my laptop, many on there.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Last summer we were on alert for forest fires in the Central Interior that were very close to our home. My quilts were boxed and ready to go on a moments notice and so were both of my sewing machines. For a few days the quilts were actually in the trunk of the car along with other supplies that we have on hand every summer now. Be prepared :)
Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM

My Dogs, Feather Weight (insurance can pay for a new Viking), Medications and fabric.