Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 AM

I have some beauiful hawaiian prints I could send let me know if you need supplies
Old 04-08-2011, 07:03 AM

You are doing such a wonderful thing for these ladies have fun most people catch on very quickly with visual and hands on ,you will have a blast .
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 AM
kso

I think that all of the suggestions that have been given are great. Simple refreshments are a good idea; tea is a very popular beverage almost everywhere in the world.

Having lots of quilting supplies on hand is important and using the simplest pattern available, perhaps a string quilt, would be a great way to start. Making projects for the elderly or children usually unites a community.

Encourage them to bring samples of their native needlearts projects for show and tell at the next meeting.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Thank you for thinking of this! It is this kind of outreach that really makes a difference in how the US is perceived. Please let us know if you need anything. I would love to contribute and I'm sure others would be happy to as well.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by sblancarte
Thank you for thinking of this! It is this kind of outreach that really makes a difference in how the US is perceived. Please let us know if you need anything. I would love to contribute and I'm sure others would be happy to as well.
Thank you for the offer. We are good for right now. We were "adopted" by the SoCal quilt guild and the women there are wonderful. They took us under their wing and we are so grateful.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 AM

What a wonderful adventure this will be for everyone involved! I lived overseas and participated in many cross cultural groups (mainly women). I'm sure everyone will be a bit nervous initially but you will soon find you have more in common than you think. Enjoy the day. I'm sure word of mouth will spread and soon you will have a larger number of ladies who want to learn how to sew/quilt.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 AM

Congratulations on the start of a wonderful adventure for you all!! Blessings!!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 AM

What a wonderful opportunity for all of you! We had an injured Afghani live with us years ago as he received medical care. It was a wonderful experience. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate their own culture into the designs if they stick with it. You know far more than I about the rich tradition of hospitality in that culture, so what a great chance to show the same. Do you have a quilting frame? Maybe another thing to start with would be a small individual project that can be quilted in a hoop. I bet we could get some hoops sent to you! PM me if there is anything you need sent from the states.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Wow this sounds interesting. Since your asking for suggestions I would stick to a simple nine patch. It easy and pretty to do. I'm so interested in what kind of food they bring. I also agree with the girls in that you avoid fabrics with animals, people objects, etc. I so excited for you please keep us posted.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM

No suggestions but I think it's a wonderful idea. :thumbup: