Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's a "Walking foot" >
  • What's a "Walking foot"

• What's a "Walking foot"

Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Have you tried ebay? I got a walking foot for my Singer 401 there.
    Old 04-08-2011, 05:11 PM

I have Singers Brothers Vikings Kenmores and Whites that are all 40 and more yrs old the shanks are different but I can buy new attachments for all of them. Take the foot with you to make sure you get the correct foot The store clerk can help Some of the JoAnn stores still carry an assortment if yours doesn't they can tell you who does
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
    I am hoping to take a machine quilting class in two weeks. I called to ask what I need to bring and they said my machine, a darning foot and a walking foot. I found the darning foot, but none of them are called a "walking foot" in my manual. Is there another name for this?

A friend of mine also want to take the class and she has an old Singer machine. She says its about 40 years old. Will she be able to get a darning foot and a walking foot for that machine? She says she doesn't have them.

This is probably a dumb question, but thanks for your help!

Our Sears here sells an attatchment box that includes the walking foot, 1/4 Inch Foot, darning foot, and I think another one, also the bar for around $38.00. They do have 2 different ones one for older machines and one for the newer, I have one of both. On the 1/4 inch foot for my 1981 model mine was a short shank so needed to get the adapter for it, no problem.
    Old 04-09-2011, 05:38 AM

Any Singer attachment should fit any singer machines even older ones. Problem with older one is that the feed dogs may not be drop when doing FMQ. If the feed dogs do not drop then they must be covered with thin plastic/card/paper so they go not move when FMQ.

As to whether generic foot will fit any machine it depends on length of shank. Take your machine to LQS/Sewing shop and have them check different brands. You do not always have to buy from them. Just pick their brains.

I have found that "walking foot" will do straight line stitching but not well and the bobbin thread may not be right tension. For those of you who have not tried/used "walking foot" they make you quilting life so much easier when sewing on quilt sandwiches!
    Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
    Thank you all for your info and links. Its hard to believe that I have sewn since I was in high school and have never used either of these feet! A whole new adventure coming up!! : ) Thanks!
    Fior most regular sewing you do not need these feet but it sure makes life easier when sewing on blanket binding sewing or thick fabric like fleece.
    Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 AM
    dd

Once while doing a quilt with my walking foot I thought a decorative stitch would be nice. So I switched my machine to a decorative stitch and it worked. The next time I tried to use it I realized I had ruined my walking foot because the little arm doesn't want to stay on the screw that sticks out the side where the needle attaches. Most of the time it stays on but once in a while it pops off. I'm not spending another $75 on another one for my machine. I will just live with the one that I ruined.
    Old 04-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Walking feet are one of quilter's best friends.
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
    Power Poster

Zappycat, have fun at your class. I can feel your excitement!
    Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 AM

I also just finished my beginners class for quilting and had so much fun and learned so much. The instructor was the best and if we had a question she was right there to help and that gave us the confidence we needed. I also want to make everything I see, but I know I am have to go slow and not to take on more than I can handle. I love this site and come in everyday to see what you lovely ladies have to show. Thanks for being here.

Sandy 14
    Old 04-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Personally, I would not even attempt to do the "quilting" part of a quilt without a walking foot.....I once just forgot to change feet, and started quilting on a regular foot, and it was a mess from the very first stitch, had to rip rip rip it all out....and do it right.....it is worth the cost......for a Singer, you can go to their web site and put in the number of your old machine (I did that for bobbins for a very old one I got at a thrift store for $15.00...it sews....)