Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need advice on binding >

Need advice on binding

Need advice on binding

Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 AM

It is very beautiful! Reminds me of ocean waters. I would use the same fabric as the borders for the binding so the eye would not be pulled out but would look to the center with the very pretty piecing. Also I would quilt it with flowing lines that look like water ripples. Anyway you decide - it will be beautiful hanging on your office wall.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:44 PM

I almost always use the outer boarder fabric for my binding, unless you want to frame the outside, I would use a color that is not bright.
Just my thoughts~!!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Very nice quilt!

I would use the same fabric as the outer border for the binding. Anything else will draw attention away from the middle where you want them to look.

Pam M
Old 04-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
Very nice quilt!

I would use the same fabric as the outer border for the binding. Anything else will draw attention away from the middle where you want them to look.

Pam M
Thanks, Pam -- and everyone else! -- for your very nice comments.

This was my first attempt at a Convergence Quilt, and wasn't sure I even liked it when I'd finished. But then I hung it on my design wall and looked at it for a while (and looked at it here, too), and figured that it would be OK. ;)

Those of you who suggested using the border fabric were thinking the same thing I was -- get the focus back on the center of the quilt. My only concern will be how I can piece together enough of those same colors without it looking too choppy. [I love pieced bindings normally, I just worry about all these "almost, but not quite the same" colors...]

Stay tuned: I'll be posting my finished product in the next day or so.

Many thanks again! You guys are the best! :thumbup:
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Lovely colors! Great job! Isn't this fun? I made one a few years ago.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
What about using the fabric that makes the narrow border around the blocks? Just my two cents.
my thoughts exactly
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady
Hi all,

I've finally made my first "convergence" quilt and now I need some help deciding on what fabric to use for the binding. Should I use the same fabric as the outer border (attempting to stay in the same color families), find a coordinating solid color, or...??

I start work at a wonderful new job on Wednesday, doing just the kind of stuff I love doing, in a lovely office that looks across the Bay to San Francisco (on the 19th floor of the Kaiser Bldg on Lakeshore, for those of you who know Oakland). The only not-so-nice thing about it are the grey walls throughout the suite. :( It's all very modern and trendy, I'm sure, but much too dreary for my taste.

Hence this very colorful quilt, which will hang on the wall above my desk, next to the wall of windows [did I mention that I look out over the Bay? :lol: :thumbup: ]

So, binding suggestions, anyone?

And while you're thinking about that, maybe you could give me some good quilting ideas, too? I'm just a newbie to FMQ, so it can't be too fancy...

Many thanks!
My suggestion: add another smaller border in the lightest color, then the darker blue binding using the pink, in the faux piping binding technique.

I tried that binding/ piping technique on a wallhanging that I'm currently trying to get finished, see pic attached, I found it very easy to do, and think it will be very effective on your beautiful piece as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-182542.jpe
Views:	52
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	182548  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 AM

I would use the pinky inner border fabric, I think the darker fabric from the center may be too strong. lay it against the fabrics you have , just a little showing and see what you like best.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:18 PM

OK, it's finished! I managed to find enough of the same colors as the outer border to make the binding (it tended to go off into a peachy color that didn't fit at all). I'm really happy with how it turned out.

You can't see it in this photo unfortunately, but I quilted the main portion with about 20 very stretched-out "S" curves, going from the lower left to upper right. That was done with a variegated green thread. Then I used a variegated purple to just do a series of boxes in the outer border. They both look really good.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas! I may not have used them in this project, but there's always more where this came from!! :)

"Batik Convergence"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184439[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-184433.jpe
Views:	46
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	184439  
Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 PM

That is beautiful!! Great job. Hope you are enjoying your new job!