Newbies challenge

Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Oz

i stumbled upon this board a few months ago and have been reading from the sidelines.

i have learned so much from so many of you - you are all my mentors.

i just finished FMQ a quilt my 2 1/2 granddaughter helped me sew. i wouldn't have had the confidence to do it without this board and what i learned from you.

a big thank you to everyone who takes the time to impart their wisdom so we can all learn.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:22 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have made quite a few quilts, but they are in the easy catagory. I shy away from anything that looks hard. I would like to find someone to be my quilting buddy and help me tackle an intermediate quilt. I know how to fuse applique but would love to learn how to sew it on by turning the edge of the fabric under 1/4" and sew the appliques on. They look so pretty that way. I know it's hard to do but if someone could help me with that and lots of other quilting needs, I'd love them forever. Jeanne :shock:
Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

How do you get your picture to show up next to your messages? I have no idea how to do that. Would you help me? Thanks a bunch, Jeanne
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Jeanne
Go to My Profile and then to the word AVATAR down at the bottom, tells you how to do your picture there...I didn't know either when I first started on this board....
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM

i would love to help some one i do ,do hand quilting and hand piecing as well some machine quilting and piecing if i don't know anything i will gladly fine it for you always looking in the site i quilted 14 yrs still learning too we always learn something new all the time
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM

I'm a newbie and would love to learn how to do triangles
Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 AM

I too am a newbie. Who taught me: Eleanor Burns, lol. Hubby got me a Little Gracie II and I am struggling with it. I am not afraid to try any thing. I have done a few quilts by teaching myself. My theory: it will look better in the morning! lol
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by doodledo
I too am a newbie. Who taught me: Eleanor Burns, lol. Hubby got me a Little Gracie II and I am struggling with it. I am not afraid to try any thing. I have done a few quilts by teaching myself. My theory: it will look better in the morning! lol
tee hee doodledo, Good for you! I like your theory... besides the creek not rising, "I will feel better in the morning" works great for me when I not feeling well. You go Girl!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow
I have made quite a few quilts, but they are in the easy catagory. I shy away from anything that looks hard. I would like to find someone to be my quilting buddy and help me tackle an intermediate quilt. I know how to fuse applique but would love to learn how to sew it on by turning the edge of the fabric under 1/4" and sew the appliques on. They look so pretty that way. I know it's hard to do but if someone could help me with that and lots of other quilting needs, I'd love them forever. Jeanne :shock:
jcrow, I would be happy to help you. Needleturn is so easy. I learned that when I was a kid and my mom use to patch jeans for my brothers. Actually, it was reverse patchwork. You just use your needle to push under the seam allowance then take a little 1/16" stitch, again use you needle and turn under a bit and take another little stitch... now, an easier way is this...
cut out the pattern on the dull side of freezer paper w/o the seam allowance. Place it on the right side of your chosen fabric and iron it on, then cut it out adding approximately 1/4" on all sides. Do not remove the freezer paper. Place your piece on the background and using the freezer paper as a guide, turn under your seam allowance and take your little stitches. --- Or do a really easy thing. After you have cut out the piece with the freezer paper on top, turn it over and use stick glue and go all the way around the edge (wrong) side and fold under the seam allowance. Place it on the background and stitch it on and remove the freezer paper Viola! Three ways to do Needleturn Applique. Personally I love the last one... the only draw back to it is that if the glue dries, it is a bit stiff to put the needle through, but it all comes out in the wash! This way makes perfect corner, points and curves curve!
xoxoxo
Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 PM

I'd love to know more about applique...I'm totally clueless except for the fact that I love seeing the appliqued items I see here. Up for an adoptee????