Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your scraps. >

How do you organize your scraps.

How do you organize your scraps.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Organize!! Is there someone out there that is a Professional Fabric Scrap Organizer as if there is and I need to organize I will need professional help. LOL
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Scraps you say? Well, I go to the second hand shop and buy big baskets because I love baskets. Then I begin tossing my scraps into them until my sewing room is lined with big beautiful baskets. Nothing matches and for some reason, the scraps are multiplying and have become a wrinkled and tangled mess! :) With the cost of fabric going up, I plan to begin making charity quilts from my baskets. Grab without looking as to color or pattern and stitch on 10-1/2 squares. Since I received an Accuquilt Go cutter for Christmas (along with the heart die cutter), I will place a plain-colored heart where the four squares match as they are made into a quilt top. Not sure how I will arrange the blocks but imagine any design will be well accepted by any charity. About all I will be out in expense will be the thread and muslin but I have plenty of that too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-185169.jpe
Views:	218
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	185175  
Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM

I haven't gotten to the organizational level of cutting everything into certain size squares or strips. My scraps are in bins labeled for strings, chunks, and less than quarter yards. I also keep my batik scraps in a separate container.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 PM

I started organizing my scraps by size. I would cut them in strips and square sizes that I commonly use. For example, i use many 2 1/2 squares and 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 rectangles. They are good for redy scrap quilts.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:44 PM

I started organizing my scraps by size. I would cut them in strips and square sizes that I commonly use. For example, i use many 2 1/2 squares and 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 rectangles. They are good for redy scrap quilts.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Ummhh... big clear plastic tote with lid. We then cut them into 1 1/2x 3 1/2 inch strips and sew them by color families unto 3 inch wide adding machine paper to make "new" fabric to be used in quilts.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56940-1.htm
tute that was posted on the board
I got the idea from this except I sew the pieces by color families.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I have two tall plastic laundry hampers by my cutting table. I fill one with light fabric and one with dark fabrics. The med. tone fabrics fall either light or dark, no overthinking it or I'd have a dozen different hampers. I can grab one scrap from each and know they will work together. Those two hampers fill up fast. I take them to guild every now and then and dump them on the tables for everyone to pick through. The hampers never seem to get or stay empty. My rule for myself is not more then the two hampers full of scraps. Fabric scraps compact easy!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
Mine are in tubs by color. I tried cutting into specific sizes but never had the right size so now I don't cut until I know what I need. This is not very organized, but it works for me.
Mine are in gallon plastic ziplock bags by color.
I applique and it saves so much time, by having the yellows
or greens together, when looking for "just the right shade".
or if I want to make a strippy patriotic something well...
just shake the contents of R W B bags together in a brown grocery bag, and sew away!
I throw all the bags in a drawer.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
Mine are in tubs by color. I tried cutting into specific sizes but never had the right size so now I don't cut until I know what I need. This is not very organized, but it works for me.
I put all the same general color families in ziplock bags.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I don't cut them until I need them and I have a tendency to organize them by color.