Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photo's for a Memory Quilt >

Photo's for a Memory Quilt

Photo's for a Memory Quilt

Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

when i print on fabric i use PFD fabric (prepared for dyeing) i press it to freezer paper then run it through the printer. i then set it aside to (cure/dry/soak into the fibers) for a minimum of 24 hours- then i heat set it= and set it aside to cure- i do this every day for a week. then i timidly go to the sink and remove the freezer paper i run cold water through the picture- 99% of the time the picture is well cured, crisp and set. that 1% of the time it is usually a picture with alot of red in it- or other bright color that just does not want to take...but i've been happy with my 99% good results.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
when i print on fabric i use PFD fabric (prepared for dyeing) i press it to freezer paper then run it through the printer. i then set it aside to (cure/dry/soak into the fibers) for a minimum of 24 hours- then i heat set it= and set it aside to cure- i do this every day for a week. then i timidly go to the sink and remove the freezer paper i run cold water through the picture- 99% of the time the picture is well cured, crisp and set. that 1% of the time it is usually a picture with alot of red in it- or other bright color that just does not want to take...but i've been happy with my 99% good results.
I would forget that I wanted to make a photo quilt with your "routine". I am glad that you have a routine...for me...I have ADD! LOL!
sandy
Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
I've made several photo quilts. I've used Printed Treasures for the others and had no problems with anything running. :lol: I would NEVER use anything other than Printed Treasures again. :thumbup:
What type of printer do you use with the Printed Treasures? I have an ink jet printer. Do you need to use special ink?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
For a truly permanent photo, that will survive normal washings, you will need to have the photos printed professionally (on the fabric of your choice, of course).
Where did you have this done? Are you talking about Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 AM

For a truly permanent photo, that will survive normal washings, you will need to have the photos printed professionally (on the fabric of your choice, of course). Ask me how I know!!
What type of professional printer? How do you find one? I've only seen Spoonflower
http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome ,

where you can create your own fabrics. I dont' really want to pay $18 a yard. But I guess if you are good with photos maybe you could put all the photos on 1 yard, hey, that's an idea, I'll have to check that out soon. See if it can be done that way.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I've made several photo quilts. I've used Printed Treasures for the others and had no problems with anything running. :lol: I would NEVER use anything other than Printed Treasures again. :thumbup:
What type of printer do you use with the Printed Treasures? I have an ink jet printer. Do you need to use special ink?

My daughter does all the printing for me. I've e-mailed her asking for details. Will get back to you after I hear from her--probably late tonight as I have to go to work shortly.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

For a truly permanent photo, that will survive normal washings, you will need to have the photos printed professionally (on the fabric of your choice, of course).
Where did you have this done? Are you talking about Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc?
There is a printing shop here in the Greater Houston Metro Area that I found. I took him the fabric squares and the photos and he put them on the fabric squares that I had provided. I can't remember exactly how much it cost, somewhere around $150-200 for about 20 squares (hmmm, $10.00 a square isn't that bad), in 1995 money. And it wasn't the cheap T-shirt type print--you know the shiny stuff that cracks and flakes. The photo is embedded into the fibers. Like I said, it was guaranteed for at least 50 washings, and was WELL worth the price. I'm sure in any city of fair size you can find someone to do the same if you want the quilt to REALLY stand up to use. If it is just for a wall-hanging or something decorative, then it really doesn't matter. But I wanted something that could be handed down for at least two generations, hopefully many more than that.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Any ink jet printer can be used with regular ink. Just don't use the ink for photo paper.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Thanks everybody for your suggestions, sorry I haven't got back before this, but I've spent the best part of 3 days in bed with a cold bug that has been going around.

I managed to get to my LQS yesterday - a 90 minute drive away - and found out where I can get the liquid and fabric I need. I thought they may have kept it; they don't but have given me the website for where they get what they use from. Have to get it from interstate, so that will have to wait until after Easter.

Thanks again for your help.