Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM

I think it is understandable that this effort to make friends and share in quilting might be questionable to the Afgan women and probably to their men as well. After all how many years of continual invasion have these people suffered through with the constant result being death and dispair? They probably find it very difficult to believe that some American woman just wants to have tea and sew with them. Instant gratification is not part of the culture from what we have learned about them. I doubt there is very little trust within them, if any. Perhaps they are fearful of being accused and punished as traitors?? Keep reaching out. Do not become discouraged. Sew with those women with whom you do have contact and let the word of good slip out where it can until even just one more woman is willing and able to join you. Sometimes it takes a long time for a seed to sprout. Especially a seed of hope and friendship in a world that to them is paved with death, fear, and dispair. I pray that this warm and kind gesture finds it's place and it's way to fruition.

Rose L.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM

That's how inroads to understanding are made. One step at a time. Even for the women who have a language barrier, quilting is a visual process. You will be able to show them the steps. They can write instructions in their own language. I teach quilting at an adult education program in a school district with a large university. I had some Japanese students who were wives of visiting professors. They each spoke very limited English. However, we had no problem communicating about the quilts. Use plenty of pictures! Good luck
Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 AM

sending another box with more goodies
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by kai's Tutu
sending another box with more goodies
Thank you. Did you what I sent you yet? If you like it and you have friends that contributed I will send enough for all.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 AM

not yet mail is so slow what time is it there right now its sat moning 8:00AM IN CALIF
Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 AM

2114 or 9:14 p.m.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM

It may be none of my business, but what is Kai's Tutu sending you? Do you need or want something? Anything? Please let me know - I'll be glad to send you anything you desire. I'm sure others on this board would do the same. How about your friends and co-workers, even the guys? The least we can do is provide you with a little comfort after what you are doing for us! So come on, tell us. What - cookies, personal items, hand lotion, sox, bath soap, candy and snacks - don't be shy! Sewing stuff? We're waiting to hear.

By the way, good luck tomorrow getting the women together - maybe the third time will be the charm! I surely hope it's not their men refusing to allow them to come. Are you meeting them on the Army Post? Maybe that's the problem. But surely you have advisors who would tell you about situations like that. I'm going to bed now and will say a prayer. All good things in time.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM

It may be none of my business, but what is Kai's Tutu sending you? Do you need or want something? Anything? Please let me know - I'll be glad to send you anything you desire. I'm sure others on this board would do the same. How about your friends and co-workers, even the guys? The least we can do is provide you with a little comfort after what you are doing for us! So come on, tell us. What - cookies, personal items, hand lotion, sox, bath soap, candy and snacks - don't be shy! Sewing stuff? We're waiting to hear.

By the way, good luck tomorrow getting the women together - maybe the third time will be the charm! I surely hope it's not their men refusing to allow them to come. Are you meeting them on the Army Post? Maybe that's the problem. But surely you have advisors who would tell you about situations like that. I'm going to bed now and will say a prayer. All good things in time.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts

By the way, good luck tomorrow getting the women together - maybe the third time will be the charm! I surely hope it's not
their men refusing to allow them to come. Are you meeting them on the Army Post? Maybe that's the problem. But surely you have advisors who would tell you about situations like that. I'm going to bed now and will say a prayer. All good things in time.
Hi Carol's Quilts! Kai's Tutu sent me some hawaiian print fabric in dark colors because pastels get dirty real quick. She also sent pocket sized toiletries that we were very thankful for. I am grateful that you all are willing to help and I may ask for things in the future but for now we are doing OK. We were adopted by a guild that sends us quilt tops, backing and they take collections up for some of the things we need. Space is at a premium here so I know if I asked for anything I would probably be overwhelmed with support from the board. Thanks for your prayers. God is listening because we are expanding and doing wonderful things here. Happy Easter Quilt Board!~Erika.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:08 AM

Community development work takes time and patience, and remember - Rome wasn't built in a day :)