Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines >

Singer Sewing Machines

Singer Sewing Machines

Old 05-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Like some of us they are not old, just better. The older models are better made using metal parts where today same parts are plastic. Have less problems with my older machines than with my newer ones. Most of the repairs to my older machines I can do. Not touching my computerised machine! If its not stupit simpleto fix it goes into the shop!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 AM

i agree with gramie bj the older we get the better we appreciate the older machines
Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 AM

They are close to child-proof. Kids can't hurt them. New sewing students (I teach 4-H) need to know nothing other than a straight stitch and back tack. These vintage machines can do that. When we use the newer machines, the kids fiddle with buttons and knobs, and the rest of the class is spent trouble shooting sewing machine problems. For the newer machines, (Thrift store and donation machines) I made a card for each machine with all the settings necessary for that particular machine. The kids still messed things up. About the only thing the kids can do to the older machines is adjust the feed dog tension. In the first class they learn safety, machine care, including oiling. They see the working parts of the machine, and have a greater respect for the technology. Perhaps they treat the machines nicely because they are old.

Be careful - collecting vintage machines can become addictive. They are scattered all over my house. I have to remember which one has which color thread for quick mending without having to change thread. With the older machines, I sew through heavy layers of jeans (including the seams)and even leather. Also, even my old treadle will drop the feed dogs for free motion sewing.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 AM

My Singer 128Q is a hand-crank - I use it when we have loadshedding ... I do not like sitting idle for hours on end without power.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 AM

Both
Old 05-03-2011, 03:34 AM

Just picked up a new addition to my small collection and my work is cut out for me as she is covered in grease/oil and Lord knows what else. Cleaned off some of the heavy stuff to see how her decals are and they look close to pristine - now DH said he'll do the heavy cleaning as a Mom's Day gift to me. Yehaw!!! Isn't she just the prettiest thing - waiting to shine???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-192280.jpe
Views:	210
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	192286  
Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Isn't she just the prettiest thing - waiting to shine???
She is one of the prettiest featherweights I have seen. I'm definitely going to have to look for one for myself. Thanks for showing us your beauty!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 AM

I love the old machines. I learned to sew on a Featherweight when I was about 8 or 9 and in 1970 I bought my first sewing machine at a thrift store for 25.00. It was a Featherweight circa 1935. Best buy I ever made. That machine has sewed like a dream all along. Made my wedding dress and 5 bridesmaid dresses in the first year and it is still going strong even now. I love to quilt on it and other than oiling the only thing I have had to do is replace the belt once earlier this year.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Just picked up a new addition to my small collection and my work is cut out for me as she is covered in grease/oil and Lord knows what else. Cleaned off some of the heavy stuff to see how her decals are and they look close to pristine - now DH said he'll do the heavy cleaning as a Mom's Day gift to me. Yehaw!!! Isn't she just the prettiest thing - waiting to shine???
She is such a pretty machine! I'm sure you'll have fun fixing her up and start using her. All these positive posts about vintage machines makes me want to go out and find one. My sister just told me that one of her daughters might have a treadle machine that she got from someone - so I want to see if she doe. Maybe I can clean her up and start using her for pecing.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I have just acquired a Singer 201 which has the reputation of being the best machine ever produced by Singer. It just powers through four layers of denim, the lining and the zipper when repairing DH's coveralls. No more bunching of thread, balking at seam junctions, veering off course or breaking needles as my Janome 6500 does. My 201 just sews with no complaints about thread tension or anything else!
I also got a Singer 201 from my sewing machine maintenance man and I really love it. It runs so quietly and will sew thru several thicknesses of material with no effort at all. It is great for quilting because of the large harp area. I was able to find a walking foot for this machine and I am sure it will be the one I use most often. I purchased a Brother CS6000i which was advertised as a quilting machine but it can barely make it thru the quilting process and has a very hard time when putting on the binding. It makes an awful clunking sound but my sewing machine repair man says that is the nature of the beast. It does a fine job of piecing but then so does the Singer 201 and I just love that black shiny finish. I would like to own a featherweight but I doubt I would use it much as I am sure it would perform much like the 201.