Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell Me Why?? >

Tell Me Why??

Tell Me Why??

Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 AM

I want one!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 AM

I guess I need to chime in too. I didn't realize how small they are till I saw them at the Lancaster Quilt show. I guess that would be fine for quilt assembly, but then you need another machine for quilting. I don't go to quilt classes or anywhere I need to take a machine, so I guess I will just live out the rest of my life without a FW. I have roughly 11 machines ranging in age from a hand crank Singer, my mother's Singer from 1936 on up to my Viking Diamond. Oh, I even have a White treadle. I don't have space to display all of them so I will use the new ones with all the bells and whistles and occasionally get an old one out just to hug.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I've often wondered about FW. I'd probably have one too, but I just don't have the room for one.
Sure you can find the room for a FW. They don't weigh much, and they are small. LOL
Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 AM

I love my Featherweight. Went to a retreat last summer and there were 12 of us there. 6 had Featherweights and the other 6 had large computerized machines. the lady giving the retreat said she had never seen so many Featherweights ay one time. They do make a beautiful stitch, easy to carry, low maintenance, reliable and others have said "so cute". They are here to stay and if you have the opportunity-try one. They do sew nicely. I also have other machines-A Bernina Artista, Necchi, treadle, serger, and I love them all for their individual uses.
Happy Stitching.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
Riversong, I'm with you. I have the thread cutter on the foot pedal on my Juki and really, really miss that feature when I change over to the Baby Lock Ellegante! And, you know what, I lifted one of a friends Featherweights and it wasn't that lightweight! Really cute to look at though. I have a 25 year old Bernina that still sews like a charm that I use sometimes at the lake.
It weighs 11 lbs. My Janome I was taking to class weighs about 25. Now the weight of my machine, quilting supplies and fabric weigh about 25 lbs. Big difference.

Angie
Old 05-04-2011, 05:02 AM

In years to come, my computerized machine will be worth very little. In years to come, my FW and my other old machines will be money in the bank, they don't wear out and they don't need an expensive Dr. to fix their ills.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 AM

I have a Babylock Embroidery/Sewing machine and thank goodness I kept my little Elna because with all the bells and buzzers tons of fancy stitches, it does not like heavy weight material like jeans, breaks needles all the time. Even doing my hooded bath towels it some times bulks at the thickness. So I use my little elna for all of regular sewing. I am trying to learn to quilt and have done a couple baby quilts and one for my moms full bed nothing fancy just squares, but find that I have a hard time keeping a stright 1/4 and sometimes if you look at the stitches they themselves are not stright. It makes a lot of sence that a machine that was designed to do only stright stitching will have no play side to side and the result is a true stright stitch. So to make a long stroy short I am going to be on the look out for a Featherweight at sales this summer or save and hope to get a good price on one on e-bay just for peiceing
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 AM

They are wonderful for piecing miniature quilts and one can purchase an exact 1/4" foot. I've really enjoyed mine and it is easy to maintain, just oil and grease regularly and keep it lint-free (like any machine).
Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aurora
I am not crazy about the bells and whistles. I have no problem threading my own machine. I am more than able to cut my own thread. Bobbins running out of thread are not an issue, I always have a filled one ready so I don't have to unthread my machine. My 301a holds a separate spool for filling the bobbin.

No matter how much you pay for those bells and whistles what you really have is a hunk of plastic that is considered to be disposable. The gears will get hot and wear out. My little 301a has been around and sewing for over 40 years. It is quieter than the new machines, does not do a little dance across the table every time I sew, does not need to be reset before I start sewing because some fool fixed the electronics to return to a specific setting when the machine is turned off.

When I began quilting two years ago, I bought a new sewing machine wonder. I took it to guild three times, brought it home and returned it to its box. One day it will be donated or sold for almost nothing because I dislike it so much. I have since purchased at least ten vintage machines that I can clean and maintain without taking them in for expensive service charges.

If one of my machines does give up the ghost, I can sell it for scrap and it will not contribute to the ever growing pile of trash.

All I really need is a machine that sews forward, reverse, and a zigzag stitch when needed and I can still meet those requirements with a vintage machine. Yes I have a FW, but prefer my 301a.
My machine doent have a lot of bells and whistles,the thread cutter I like for free motion quilting.I dont use the threader.It does no zig zag.I got it solely for free motion and it runs at 1500 stitches a minute. I was not intending to put anyone down for wanting the fetherweights. I wouldnt mind one myself,but I dont go to any classes or workshops,and my little singer works great for piecing.And mine is NOT computerized.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 AM

I want a Featherweight!