Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overlock Fear >

Overlock Fear

Overlock Fear

Old 05-07-2011, 02:59 AM

go for it It will not bite you. Wish we were and I would help you get over your fear Once you start using it you are going to love it!! Just jump in!!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 AM

I have had a Singer overlock and found it to be a big headache. Got a Babylock Imagine and love it. Easy to operate !!!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
No DVD. Separately -- at another estate sale -- I did purchase a book with lots of photos. Personally, I think this is a man's machine since they are more mechanically inclined than I am so my son and husband should run it. Don't you agree?
No! You just need to jump in and play with it. Just play around sewing strips together and practicing what it can do. When I got my first one I played with one type of stitch at a time. When I would get flatlock where it was easy for me without checking the manual, then I would go on to roll hem, etc. I love it for edging fleece throws. I make all my fleece blankets for my bed since my dogs sleep on it, and use the serger for that. You can also make great tablecloths, napkins, etc. When my GKs were babies I made all their clothes and jammies with the serger. I kept notes on what I was doing and stitch lengths and tensions. Now I don't need that anymore but I still keep the manual handy for referral since I don't use the serger as much as I used to. Just have fun with it. Threading can be tricky at first, and I still use the knot method for changing threads; tie the old thread at the spool with the new thread and then pull it through all the knobs and dials with the tension released.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Swap Hosts

Oh I wish one of you lived around the block from me ... WAH!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:13 AM

I was given one and I have used it, with trepadition, but it does do a great job, like I was making purses of pre-quilted fabric and it was really a help, but changing the thread, UGH. until someone told me about tying the color change thread to the one on the machine and it worked great. I now don't use it at all, I use my overlock stitches on my computerized machine. Do not be afraid, if I could do it, you can do it.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 AM

Krystyna - stick with it! Do what-ever you have to do to learn to use it! In awhile, you'll wonder how you ever lived without a serger!
After my 25-year-old serger died of natural causes (I worked it to death), I bought a used one, and it wouldn't cut the fabric. I messed with it for a few minutes and found out the blade was loose! Tightening it fixed the problem and then it worked beautifully!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 AM

We bought my grandmother a serger for her 70th birthday she said "hey i"m almost dead why you buy me this". God love her she died at 97 but she mastered the serger she loved to make clothes for the great grandchildren. The only problem was every time she broke a thread I got the call. So keep your son on speed dial. And have a lot of scraps because I O out all tensions and readjust. Have fun you"ll will find great thing too do with it.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:40 AM

Follow the manual step by step in threading b/c it's imperative to get them in proper order.
If your threading diagram is colored use that same color thread for the loopers and needle.
Start with the 4 thread overlock b/c it's the basic-set tensions to 4- each one and sew. Then look at your stitch and adjust according one at a time so you know if it worked. Classes are a good idea and if you've tried everything, maybe having it serviced would work. It's not cheap, but then neither is stress. I hope that you get it working, the serger can be a wonderful addition to a sewing studio.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 AM

I remember my first experience with and overlock/serger. I WAS intimidated, but then i just played with scraps and got comfortable with it and was able to use it in garment construction with no fear at all. Good luck and congratulations on your purchase.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:56 AM

I remember my first experience with and overlock/serger. I WAS intimidated, but then i just played with scraps and got comfortable with it and was able to use it in garment construction with no fear at all. Good luck and congratulations on your purchase. Also, i threaded with different colors for each so I could see what thread was doing what job and which one was breaking. That was the biggest help of all.