Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mom's voice in my ear... >

Mom's voice in my ear...

Mom's voice in my ear...

Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
My mother was very encouraging to my brothers and I. She became a single mother of 3 in the 50's. The era of time when being a single mom was NOT fashionable and gave cause to many a wagging tongue. But she never once let those rumors affect her or us children. She held her proud and taught us to do the same. Every day Mom would say, "I have faith in you. You can do whatever you set your mind too."

Even though rumors flew faster than a jet in our neighborhood, they sure didn't stop us kids. All three of us grew up to be successful business people.
I can relate to the things you are saying because my mom became the single mother of 3 in the late 30's. She had no child support from the man she was married to and there was no government support at that time. Until she met my dad and married him going was very tough. She rose above all the things people said and was also very successful in the things she did. I am so grateful to her for being a perfectionist and teaching me the right way to do things. I would not have the skills I have if it hadn't been for her. Thanks Mom!!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
Luckily as the years go by my Mother's voice in my ear is fading. She never said any thing to me that wasn't critical. To her I never made the right choices, especially when my choices were not according to her advice. My mother was a wonderful seamstress, but she did not teach me to sew. I learned from Home Economics in school. As the years went by and I had daughters of my own, I promised myself that I would NOT do the things, say the things that my Mother did. My daughters are my best friends. We have a very close relationship which I am extremely grateful for. My husband always tells me that I learned by horrible example. I have done everything the opposite of my mother. She passed away several years ago. I pray that she is happy now, because she was never happy when she was alive.
I sure can relate to this. The only thing I haven't done the opposite of my mother is keep a clean house. My house is a mess, but I am trying to clean it up. I have a daughter now and I love her to pieces. I've helped her make a few things and hope to do more with her as she grows up. She's eleven now. My mother left my Dad and married another man when I was nine. This was in the 1960's and was still somewhat scandalous. To this day, the only things I hear my mother saying are critical. She lives in assisted living now and suffers from dementia. I am her closest living relative. She claims that the home she is in is "the absolute worst place she has ever been." But she said that about the two previous homes she lived in as well. On a happier note, my Dad remarried and I have a wonderful relationship with my Mom there. She and my Dad will celebrate their 36th wedding anniversary on May 31. She helped me with my wedding and came and helped me when my babies were born. She's been a wonderful grandmother to my kids too.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 AM

my mom never like to sew but she always said i had my aunt Elsie talent to sew and craft that she name me right
Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 AM

[quote=pattypurple]Mom always said "Every stitch you take on Sunday you'll have to take out with your nose". Don't know where that came from. I don't obey that rule, but still hear her in my head when I do sew on Sunday.

My mother and Grandmother said the same thing and usually everything was taken out on Monday because it wasn't done correctly.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 AM

[quote=JannieGrace]My grandmother used to tell me that! She was the woman who had the greatest influence in my life. She didn't teach me to sew, but she taught me right from wrong and how to live my life. She was one fine lady and her name suited her very well, Grace.

By the way, I've been reading the board for several months now, but haven't posted anything yet. I appreciate all I am learning from you ladies, as well. You have inspired me to get busy sewing again. I've been on quite a hiatis. I've spent the last two months getting my sewing room organized so I could. Thank you for all the information you provide and quilts I have seen on here are beautiful. I've only made a few myself, but I am ready to go, thanks to your inspiration![/ ////////////////// i don't have a lots of quits done but i do have a lot of ufo but we all glad that we do help other in some way to get them on their way to quilt and crafting that what we are all about here so glad to hear you are inspire and hope to see some of your work and other new quilter work enjoy your quilting we are all friend here
Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Can't never did anything. You can do anything you put your mind to.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:59 AM

My mom would say, "If it worth doing, it's worth doing right."
Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 AM

My Mother was so supportive. When I finished my first novel, I was terrified of rejection, but she told me, "You have nothing to be ashamed of, it's a great story" When I finished my first quilt, a slightly off-kiltered Dresden Plate, she said, "It's beautiful, is it mine?" and every one I made after that she always said the same thing. The one I made for her I repo-ed from my step dad after Momma died. I still have it and I'll always have it. Momma always told me: "You're as good as the best and better than the rest, so don't let anybody tell you you can't do something." I miss my Mother.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I can't remember any glowing praise from my Mom for my sewing skills-- I developed them on my own, as she didn't sew. One thing she really did love, tho, was a fabric doll I made for her once I was an adult. She loved it and had it sitting in her bedroom until she died. She wasn't big on praise but it was satisfying to be able to make something for her that she loved.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 AM

When I was sewing, my mother would tell me a story about 2 brothers whose wives made all their clothes by hand. One wife was lazy and made her husband's shirts with long stitches; she would hurry through her work. The other wife was very industrious and made her husband's shirts with tiny stitches; it took longer but the shirts wore much longer. The two men went out hunting one day and came upon a bear. The bear chased the men until they were exhausted. The man with the shirt of tiny stitches got away. The man with the shirt of long stitches got caught on a tree branch because his shirt was ripping away and was eaten by the bear. Guess you know that my stitches are tiny!