Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mom's voice in my ear... >

Mom's voice in my ear...

Mom's voice in my ear...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
Mom always said "Every stitch you take on Sunday you'll have to take out with your nose". Don't know where that came from. I don't obey that rule, but still hear her in my head when I do sew on Sunday.

Pat
My Grand mother used to say that too, I hope that's not right because I'll never get it all picked out. LOL :-D
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
My mom demanded perfection but never really gave a compliment... "That's pretty good but....."
Nothing was ever good enough.
Ditto
Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM

My mother really disliked me and wasn't afraid to say so. My sisters however, could do no wrong. She was a talented seamstress but never taught me to sew anything. She has been gone for ten years and sad to say I have never missed her or her acid tongue. I hope my own kids (boys) never think this way about me.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM

How come I can remember all those weird things Mom said except when I'm trying to remember them....like now!? One goofy thing she said when we were getting on her nerves while we were out somewhere, "Next time I bring you I'm going to leave you home!".
Mom passed away 15 months ago. I'm the only girl so I got her sweing machine, fabric and all other craft stuff. That's why I took up quilting less than a year ago. Mom didn't quilt but had lots of 100% cotton material she used to make doll clothes. I wish I had had the foresite to learn from her while she was here...but I didn't realize I'd want to took over her machine & material. Makes me feel closer to her when I'm in my newly created sewing room surrounded with her things and touching the same material she cut from. I think it's making her happy!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 PM

I'm with a few of the others here; I could never please my mother, never measure up to her expectations. It took me years to stop trying, but the saying that stays in my head today is "Always behave as if I'm looking over your shoulder." Didn't always keep me out of trouble! LOL
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM

My Mom, who didn't sew at all, just always told me that she loved me. She bought me sewing lessons when I asked for them,and she and my Dad bought me my first sewing machine (which they most likely could ill affod} for Christmas when I was about 13. She was always very proud of my sewing (no quilting until she had been gone for over 30 years)and she was actually buried in a suit I had made for her before she died. She and my Dad were my Heroes. So many years later I still miss them both every day of my life.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Beautiful stories and memories. So sorry that many of us have bitter memories as well but those memories make us who we are.

The last memory I truly have of my mom was the encouragement she gave me on a my first quit. She was a quilter and I tried one year to make one and messed it up terribly. I out it away for a year and when I finally showed her-- she encouraged me to finish it-telling me that it would become my favorite- because of all the work I had done with it. She died unexpectedly 3 weeks later.

I cherish that quilt- because of this story. AND I am happy to say that I have taken her place with her 3 sisters and their monthly quilting bee. God knows every moment and I am blessed to have Him guiding my path.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Where clean underware when you leave the house,,,,
Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM

When I was a little girl, my mom sewed everything for us. When I got into junior high school she encouraged me to take a class they were offering. She said she would help me along the way. And that she did. She even wore the first shirt I ever made. I have spent a good portion of my adult life living in a different star / country. Even with that, mom has been there to cheer me on. When I started learning to quilt I was really scared of it. Mom was there saying, "You can do it.". And I did. I am working on my second quilt which is for my daughter. I hope I get the chance to make quilt for my mom to say, "Thank you." I am pretty lucky to have a special mom.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Mom said so many times..."Life is full of lumps, if you don't like them, then mash them out"