Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what triggers your HA/migraines? >

what triggers your HA/migraines?

what triggers your HA/migraines?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 PM

barometric changes, not eating, perfumes and chemical odors, stress, strobe lights, heat...Sometimes I get a optical migraine, but they don't always turn into the pain migraine. With the optical migraine, it looks like I'm looking through water, words swim on the page, shards of lights. Both my daughters have inherited them as well:-(
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
I have a real sensitivity to smells, perfumes, lotions, cleaning products. Sometimes I feel nauseated, other times the pain starts and other times I have visual changes or see lights flashing- if the light is red it is going to be a doozy. Just curious about yours.
Not enough sleep and stress..But my headaches are the cluster ones where they start in the back of the neck and move up..
Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 AM

Although I've had a long history of being plagued by headaches, my first real Migraine headache occurred a couple of years ago. Scared the living daylights out of me, since I lost vision in one eye without experiencing any pain ...... Although I'm a nurse, I had no idea that a Migraine could be visual/ocular without any pain associated with it. Unfortunately, my migraines have now progressed to the type that is followed by pain, nausea & vomiting and I need to go straight to bed. The aura I get is strobe lights in my peripheral field of vision .... Really weird, like back in the day (early 70's) when DH and I were young and went to dance/disco with the strobe lights. Have not been able to ID the triggers, but seems to be stress and lack of sleep. (Luckily, neither red wine or chocolat seem to be the culprit!) My MD gave me an Rx for low dose Imitrex, but I have not tried using it yet. To be honest, the list of side effects scares me! Is anyone on this medication? Does it work?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 AM

Stress,season salt,some cleaning products ammonia
Old 05-10-2011, 04:23 AM
dd

Originally Posted by jetnica
Originally Posted by Shelbie
I had terrible migraines until I went on thyroid medication. I haven't had one since. My doctor says they shouldn't be related but I didn't change anything else. I recommend getting your thyroid checked. It could be an easy and cheap permanent fix.
Mine have gotten 10x worse since having my thyroid removed/going on thyroid medicine.

=( I think I'm wired backwards. lol

my trigger is stress. but i get a specific headache the day before a migrane, and i can usually caffiene/imitrex the migraine away.
I don't have thyroid but I do use the caffiene/imitrex method. Coffee doesn't seem to do as well as Coke does. Imitrex isn't my drug of choice but it is the choice of my insurance company. It works most of the time. I usually take Aleve before I take the Imitrex and I don't get that tightening in my shoulders or as sleepy.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nita
Although I've had a long history of being plagued by headaches, my first real Migraine headache occurred a couple of years ago. Scared the living daylights out of me, since I lost vision in one eye without experiencing any pain ...... Although I'm a nurse, I had no idea that a Migraine could be visual/ocular without any pain associated with it. Unfortunately, my migraines have now progressed to the type that is followed by pain, nausea & vomiting and I need to go straight to bed. The aura I get is strobe lights in my peripheral field of vision .... Really weird, like back in the day (early 70's) when DH and I were young and went to dance/disco with the strobe lights. Have not been able to ID the triggers, but seems to be stress and lack of sleep. (Luckily, neither red wine or chocolat seem to be the culprit!) My MD gave me an Rx for low dose Imitrex, but I have not tried using it yet. To be honest, the list of side effects scares me! Is anyone on this medication? Does it work?

My SIL gets them really bad and what triggers her's is MSG they put in products..My daughter gets them bad as well and she takes Excedrin for Migraines and the medicine helps alot..
Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 AM

I have all of those symptoms if I eat apples. I worked out that exactly two days after eating apples I am sick like this for 3 days. It doesn't happen any more unless i have accidentally consumed some in another's cooking.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 AM

Soy - particularly soy milk. MSG (KFC is full of it but Red Rooster is OK) artificial sweeteners - particularly Aspartame, and preservatives (McDonald's is full of them, but Hungry Jacks is OK.)

Sun glare. I wear sunglasses outside, even when hanging out the washing - even in the winter. Strobe lighting. The 'flicking' of fluorescent lights when they are on the way out and need to be replaced. Stress, not enough sleep, low blood sugar.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
Change in barametric pressure just prior to a weather change. My boss figured it out as I had migraine same time his wife did and I didn't even know her or that she had migraines. He had her tested. It absolutely never failed in 5 years that we had migraine at the same time.
Same thing here. I also have sinus and allergy headaches, and when I get one of those, if I don't get it cleared up, it'll go into a migraine. Also, my neck stiffens up, and it'll cause a migraine. I've pretty much had them all my life. They seem to run in my mom's side of the family.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 AM

My spouse's trigger is wheat. It took 50 years to find that trigger. Now that the trigger is known, there have been very few migraines. We did have one slip-up; did you know that 'bacon salt' has wheat in it? Well it does and that caused the last migraine when I used it on some homemade wheat-free crackers I made.