Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-cut applique >

Pre-cut applique

Pre-cut applique

Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
:-) HAs anyone used the pre-cut appliques pices - you can buy them in quilting catalogs.

I would like to buy a pack of pre-cut applique shapes to use on children's giveaway quilts - doing the fusible and machine edge stitching. How do you get the fusible on the pre-cut shape? Usually when you use fusible, the design in penciled onto the paper, fusible then it put on the back of the fabric, when bonded the shape is cut out. How on earth do you do fusible and prec-uts?

Sure would be interested in knowing. would save alot of time, and get multiple print fabrics in the pre-cuts.

Thanks for help
Julie
Easy as can be. You use Elmer's Washabel School Glue and glue them down. You can even iron them on to dry them faster and flat. Stitch and when done wash out the glue. Easy and kids love to help glue them down too!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
Maybe use roxanne glue baste so you don't have to cut fusible, but you will have to stitch it down
Do not use the iron on this. When washed out after heating it does leave a residue.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Good to know, applique. Glad I never tried to iron it....I usually iron first, but I didnt know not to iron after, lol!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
:-) HAs anyone used the pre-cut appliques pices - you can buy them in quilting catalogs.

I would like to buy a pack of pre-cut applique shapes to use on children's giveaway quilts - doing the fusible and machine edge stitching. How do you get the fusible on the pre-cut shape? Usually when you use fusible, the design in penciled onto the paper, fusible then it put on the back of the fabric, when bonded the shape is cut out. How on earth do you do fusible and prec-uts?

Sure would be interested in knowing. would save alot of time, and get multiple print fabrics in the pre-cuts.

Thanks for help
Julie
When I sell my precut applique peices they already have fusible on them.
I sure didn't appreciate my "ad" being removed. I guess I was under the mistaken assumption that I had the right to answer a question as much as anybody. Julie's original posting is BUYING precut appliques--not how to do it herself.

Rose Hall
Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall

Thanks for help
Julie
I sure didn't appreciate my "ad" being removed. I guess I was under the mistaken assumption that I had the right to answer a question as much as anybody. Julie's original posting is BUYING precut appliques--not how to do it herself.

Rose Hall
Rose Hall I guess I don't understand what I did or said that was wrong, could you explain?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Good to know, applique. Glad I never tried to iron it....I usually iron first, but I didnt know not to iron after, lol!
You can iron the piece after washing out the glue with no problem, just don't heat set it before washing it out! It is only a little residue, not bad. I tested on a couple pieces which were done with glue on white and glue on back, ironed then washed.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 AM

Thanks for help
Julie

Rose Hall
Rose Hall I guess I don't understand what I did or said that was wrong, could you explain?
I'm sorry--it's not you! I had posted a reply that gave Julie my web address and info about my pre cut appliques. It has been removed along with another post by someone else that had simliar information for someone else that sells pre cut appliques.
Rose
Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 AM

Thanks for help
Julie

Rose Hall
I'm sorry--it's not you! I had posted a reply that gave Julie my web address and info about my pre cut appliques. It has been removed along with another post by someone else that had simliar information for someone else that sells pre cut appliques.
Rose
OK maybe you could send her a PM
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 AM

If you are going to use the pre-cuts, I think that I would use the fusible thread & just stitch around the shape. There was a thread on here about the fusible thread for applique. You use the fusible thread in the bobbin & a silky thread in the needle & when you fuse, the top thread is suppose to pull out. Check out the thread on this.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 AM

Yes i bought some from ebay and they are on my avatar. I made a butterfly quilt for a very dear friend of mine who has been in a wheelchair since she was 12 yrs old. I found them easy to applique with the blanket stitch after i used fusible web and pressed them onto the white background. It was only the 2nd quilt i have finished and was pleased with the way it turned out