Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future.... >

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Well I guess I am just one of those "low quality" people. We buy most of our groceries at WM and some clothing. Since we are retired we do not need clothes for work and our budget is a fixed amount. I also buy fabric and notions. I only buy the fabric that I like and feels good. We also buy their brand of nighttime pills, same look and ingredients as the "name" brand.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 PM

I have purchased plenty of fabric at walmart.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Our local quilt shop closed a yr ago, never added new fabric, we'd already bought all (little) she offered.

One Walmart closed fabric, the other still offers on bolts & heard we're getting cuts added. Both are newer super stores, both are a 50 mile one way drive for me, nothing local.

In the same town, 3 quilt shops that also offer sewing machines are cutting back fabric, and hanging in there. The only fabric quilt shop, is up for sale. All 4 said fabric prices where going up, avg $8/yr to be $11.50/yd. We also have JoAnns & Hancock & both seem to be cutting back fabric & adding home decor more. Happy we have a stash. Looking forward to Walmart changing. I think we'll always find those who like or don't like Walmart. I appreciate the variety & price selection of chain stores over higher priced quilt shops. My dime don't stretch as far these days with food, gas, & everything else going up too.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 PM

where is this WalMart located
Old 05-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I think it's a crime what Wal-Mart has done to it's craft and fabric department. A couple of months ago someone had posted on this site that they were bringing fabric back to their stores. I was in a Wal-Mart store in my neighborhood in Lowell, MA, and the craft section was smaller than my bathroom. Then a couple of days later we went into the Wal-Mart in Hudson, NH where we used to shop a lot before we moved. When I asked the clerk about them bringing back fabric she told me it was unlikely and they were even phasing out the pre-cut fabric at that store, BUT they still had fabric at a super Wal-Mart in Nashua, NH on the other side of the river. When I spoke with my sister-in-law in SD, their local Wal-Mart had never gotten rid of their fabric, but quilting and fabric shops there are few and far between. Now after that little geography lesson, the impression I got was that they were unlikely to bring fabric back unless it was in a super Wal-Mart. The one thing I did notice was that several of the pre-cut pieces, especially fleece, were being marked down. I got a two 1 1/2 yard packets of fleece, one for $3.50 and one for $5.00, great for the stuffed animals I want to make for my granddaughter and the price was great. I do wish they would bring the fabric back, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:32 PM

I recently picked up about 8 unbleached muslin quilt backs 108x108 for $7.00 each. Nice fabric and I just couldn't pass it up.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Check out WalMart fabrics online. Walmart.com. go to crafts/fabrics. They offer the 2yd. cuts but I am leery of buying them without seeing the fabric first. I just wish they would all go back to the old way.I particularly like being able to pick up notions because the prices are usually good.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cooky
Where are the walmarts in rhode island, we have a summer cottage in charlestown and would love to visit the walmarts.
There's one at the exit off Hwy 4 near Exeter. (My sister lives near there).

Our Wal-Mart here in Lebanon, Oregon has enlarged their fabric department with their recent remodel. I haven't stopped to look at the quality of the fabric yet.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:39 PM

We went to W/Mart today - pharmacy, etc., and my husband looked strangely at me when I said I'll be back in a min, I want to check to see if they still have fabric - - - yes, and lots of it on bolts. Like someone else here, I sew more than just quilts (robes, PJ's, etc) and I need sometimes more than 2 yds at a time. Looks like we are okay, and it isn't a super-store, just the only one around for 40 miles or more! That's okay, I'm happy!

Marysewfun
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM

There are a lot of people that can't afford to run to the local QS, if one should exist in small areas, let alone pay the price that is charged. Wal Mart does have some good fabric, but a person has to watch what they are purchasing. I have purchased fabric at a QS that when I got it home had a flaw down the entire piece. So QSs don't always get the best fabric.