Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM

home depo can cut you a piece of plywood to the size you want. If you can't cut it your self
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM

I know you're not laughing but I am roflmao........just tell him this is what you want and if he is unable to do it you can pay someone else to do it.....lol. P.S. I'd just be happy if I could get my hubby to take an interest and be willing to do something!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM

Oh, my ... will he ever stop thinking about it and actually do it? LOL

Susan
Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Dear,
I don't believe this, Ive been through something similar and my hubby is not an engineer he is cpa.
I think God created all men to think the same. :hunf: :twisted:
Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 PM

So he looked at ironing boards online, you know the cute little ones that fold up into the wall (which are fantastic if I was only ironing shirts!) and told me "this is what you need".
--------------------------------------
Actually, this one ls marvelous. I have one built into my 1940s house service porch wall and I love it. Unfortunately it is way too small for ironing quilts or even large pieces of fabric right out of the dryer. So I have one of those 4 foot fold up ones and put layers of stuff on it to protect the plastic and iron away. First comes a thin sheet of plywood I had on hand, then old army blankets from DH's stash, then a sheet of foil and then another of fabric. Works rather nicely till I need the space for something else. Wish I had one the size of a murphy bed and swung out of the wall.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Quick...call the closest lumber yard and get the plywood you want cut to size. Take it home and then trace your ironing board on it and go right back and tell them you need some one by's on the line to keep it from moving off the ironing board. Then cover it and staple everything tight. THEN...if you feel it needs a bit of support at the front of the board, get a PVC pipe and a flat fitting (look at this in a clotilde magazine) cut to the heighth of the board and slide it under!! You can do this! Show him how easy life can be.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Oh my goodness! That is my DH. When I as for a piece of wood, I tell him nothing!!! Well, except for "No sanding, no 5 coats of varnish, no rounding the edges, nothing. Just the piece of wood." lol
Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM

+all of the above and NEVER teach an engineer to quilt
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Great story and so true. My DS bought a bendable light for her mechine. She ask her DH to put it on for her. (he retiried from Bell) He worked on putting the light on for four days before she called and told me to come over and put it on before he taped a spot light to it..
Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM

Yup! Got on of those too but I managed to convince him (with difficulty) to make one for me to my specs! He even screwed little blocks under it so it fits over my regular iron board and not too heavvy to lift off when I need to do other ironing.Whew!