Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer School Machines >

Singer School Machines

Singer School Machines

Old 05-20-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

I bought one a few years ago and was definitely not satisfied with it. It was new but a cheaply made Singer model and would not purchase another. Yours may be a better experience than mine was. But I would want to check it out.

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Every once in a while, we get a flyer in our newspaper about Singer School sewing machines being sold in our area. They claim that they are new, heavy duty machines that will sew all fabrics (even leather!) and the latest one even says that they will serge fabrics and cut off the excess fabric with the purchase of an optional cutter. These are supposedly made extra sturdy to withstand the abuse that students would give it. All of this for $149.00! Limited 25 year warranty. One day sale, with demonstrations going on.

Anybody ever buy one of these machines? What's your opinion?

Sure sounds tempting!

Sue
Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 AM

I fell for that line one of our local sewing machine and vacuum stores. Not a LQS. Said the school ordered them and then had a budget cut. He was selling them cheap. If I had done my homework, I could have gotten one a little less from a LQS. Same machine. It is an OK machine, but it certainly wasn't a "heavy duty machine like he said.
Ginny
Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 AM

I went to one once, the machine I thought I purchased and the one I got were two different machines, The one I wanted had a specific stitch on it the one i got was a cheaper model that didnt have the stitch on it. I called them and complained as I had paid the price for the right machine, and was told that that was the one i purchased, explaining about the stitch, was told mine could do it kind of if i did this and that, not what i wanted machine broke not long after, havent gotten it fixed yet. kept it as a reminder, go to a reputable dealer, that are not fly by night. Lesson learned. DEB
Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 AM

I bought one of these 15 years ago, the machine was fine, but you could buy a comparable one anywhere, the serger piece, I bought it and never used it, since I got a real serger after that. The problem I had with that machine is that I had to replace the foot pedal about 4 times in about 10 years. Finally trashed the machine because it spent more time in the shop instead of being sewed with. Ask your local singer shop if they will sell you one for comparable price, at least you will have someone to go to when it breaks down. LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 AM

I also work on my Singer Scholastic. It is a work horse. I cannot say that what they're selling today is the quality I bought years ago but I can say that my SS has been very good to me. Her name is Pat. She works along side with my very first helper, Flora, a mini Kenmore who weighs double the SS and works just as well.
I love my ladies who turn out such pretty quilts for me.

Oh, I must say that I do have the larger machine, NOT the cheaper one. It has many different stitches and again I love her. :o)
Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 AM

Might be a bait and switch scheme too. Work you into a more expensive model. When it sounds too good to be true it usually is!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 AM

Please share info when you have more- We refurbish vintage and used machines and have yet to come across a Singer post 1980 that could withstand the abuse of class room students over a period off time. However, they have made their market- schools are buying them and discarding older machines which they will most likey find break down quickly and are not repairable
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 AM

I went to a demo at Hancocks a few years ago-all excited about getting a great machine. They have 2 different machines there to demo-but one is much better than the one they advertise and more expensive. To get the machine to do what they advertised, you had to purchase more add-ons. Needless to say, I walked away empty handed.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 AM

I bought the higher priced version about 5 years ago and I love it. It always comes through for me. I use it to machine quilt and usually leave the walking foot on it and piece with another machine. I have never regretted buying it.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 AM

I bought one of those machines about 8 years ago. It never did perform to suit me. It's in the out door shed now and I'm using my new Viking. What a difference quality makes!