Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 AM

Well said, Toomany. If things had to be done perfectly, I wouldn't do anything. Years ago I used to get frustrated when my points didn't match. My daughter, who was a teenager at the time, grabbed one of my quilting magazines, pointed to a picture published there, and said "Do ALL those points match? Nobody is perfect." As I age, I become less and less critical of my own work. Now I'm a firm believer in "Finished is better than perfect." Of course, I certainly try to do my best. Thank heavens there are no quilt police living at my house.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Mousie, Pat and too many, thanks for the words of wisdom.
I am sure you all are right and I am just being too critical. Like I said, I am enjoying the experience, and I guess this is what is important. And hopefully when I put them all together the mistakes will be less obvious. I guess I just need to realize that is a new arena in my quilting journey and there will be a learning curve and I just need to get over myself..lol.

Glad to know though that I have company for surw :mrgreen:
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Well said, Toomany. If things had to be done perfectly, I wouldn't do anything. Years ago I used to get frustrated when my points didn't match. My daughter, who was a teenager at the time, grabbed one of my quilting magazines, pointed to a picture published there, and said "Do ALL those points match? Nobody is perfect." As I age, I become less and less critical of my own work. Now I'm a firm believer in "Finished is better than perfect." Of course, I certainly try to do my best. Thank heavens there are no quilt police living at my house.
Oh, I am gonna finish, lol, just not sure I'll be as proud as I like to be with my work,lol. :lol:
But you sure are right, Judy, nobody is perfect, and I am doing my best..so hopefully that will show. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Welcome to our new members! We start in only 17 more days! Fasten your seatbelts - we're in for the ride of our lives!

This will be so much fun!
Now, only 12 more days! YIKERoos... I am not sure I am going to be ready. Lots of things going right now. And I still can't decide on my background color. What is an old girl to do????

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by candi
Woo Hoo 85 is a wonderful number,maybe 86 now????
Nope! 87!
hopefully you have me down? Waiting for the CT back [s]... counldt decide what color so being so cheap 2.96/yd I ordered three a week ago - Mirage Coal, Iris, and Indigo. I think I'm leaning towards the Iris - so - from my catching up a few more pgs on my thread reading - there will be another deep purple. But we will see when they arrive.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Know what you mean about the traffic. Since we moved out to the boonies (been about 11 years) I even hate going to Vancouver WA and Portland OR to see my kids. I hate driving in the traffic. And Phoenix - forget about it - we try never to have to go there when we're in Wickenburg for the winter. Although I keep hearing about a huge fabulous fabric store down that way and know I need to go there at least once. Maybe next winter.
Hi Judy, same here about traffic. We live on the east side of the mountains. We love to visit the grandkids in Poulsbo but do NOT like the traffic in the Seattle/Tacoma area to get there. Have you visited the terrific Quilting Straits in Port Gamble, WA? Only been there once but it is wonderful. I have also ordered online from them. My DIL is so happy we discovered that shop since it is only 5 minutes from her place. She's not a seamstress/quilter (yet!) but she knows fabric is a lure for me... :-D
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
I did the freezer paper the way Elle suggested and it was much faster. I may use that method for select pieces, but I want to do needleturn without anything as much as possible. Kind of a personal goal.
When I use freezer paper to applique I do this... [dont know if the direction came from a Pearl Pereira or Karen Kay Buckly cd] .. you trace the reversed pattern on the non-waxy side of your freezer paper, you press two sheets of freezer paper together [I put the marked one in between] - you cut out the templates. Place fabric wrong side up on iron board & press to remove creases - dont "iron" because you will stretch fabric.

Next you place thicker template waxy side down on the wrong side of your fabric and press down lightly.
Now trim 1/4" from edge for seam allowance.

two notes - when using this method I use my fingernail to put a crease in the fabric from the edges of the paper...

if you hold piece with fab/papers in left hand fabric up and run a nail so that it just rides along the edge of the paper - you have the whole outline on your piece to be appliqued.

2 - I trim a little off the edge when I finally attach [I guess I should say I do this before making the crease when I prepare lots of pieces ahead of time]

[I usually skip it lately and do straight needleturn]

gotta walk doggie!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Welcome to our new members! We start in only 17 more days! Fasten your seatbelts - we're in for the ride of our lives!

This will be so much fun!
Now, only 12 more days! YIKERoos... I am not sure I am going to be ready. Lots of things going right now. And I still can't decide on my background color. What is an old girl to do????

:shock: :shock: :shock:
put one foot in front of the other with your stuff, but at the same time pretend as if you have all the time in the world. Step by step you'll get it done and be surprised at the same time!
(I have to trick myself into believing it's not work ;-) )
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM

About photocopying...
If when you go to photocopy, you hit "mirror image" it will automatically reverse
Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 AM

I just caught up reading these posts. Let me say right now. NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING I have ever made is perfect. Quilts or anything else. We're all human. If you take the AOTH book and study the pictures of each block, something will jump out at you as not perfect. For instance, in block 21, the circle in the lower right flower is a little flat on one side. And in block 19, the gold embroidery is a little wobbly. Yet, Aie made a beautiful quilt and we all like it so much that we aspire to do the same.

I tried a small zigzag stitch using machine embroidery thread on my first block. Boy, does that embellishment look wobbly! Way more than Aie's. The next one I made was block 8 and I used a large satin stitch. I like that one. I've since ordered the Razzle Dazzle and am doing bobbin work. Since this is my first project doing bobbin work, I'm leaving everything just as it turns out. A learning process. This is also my first big hand appliqued project. I've done hand sewing on garments for years, but not on quilts or decor.

Just remember, you are your worst critic. Now, I'm off to attempt a Smith Island Cake. Eight layers on that baby and drizzled with a chocolate glaze. Gonna share it with my neighbors so I don't eat the whole thing!
Linda