Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you like "Shabby Chic" decor? >

Do you like "Shabby Chic" decor?

Do you like "Shabby Chic" decor?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 AM
nab

Yes I do love it. My sister has been bugging me about making her a "shabby chic" quilt. She says there is one at Target that used chenille for some of the squares. I guess we could use just about any pattern. It seems like it is the fabric colors that make it "shabby chic".
Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 AM

I am working on one now. White muslin and eyelet with applique apple blossoms.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by bailey
When I got done quilting this I thought it looked Shabby Chic - at least that's what I am calling it in my head. What do you all think?
Do you have a pattern for this ..Love that look...
Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by Lori S
I have seen some that I would define as "dumpster decor".
:mrgreen: True! A little can go a long way!

I have all the Robyn Pandolph fabrics to make a quilt that was in one of the magazines a couple of years ago. It was one of the prettiest quilts I've ever seen, designed by Gerri Robinson - it's made of eight-pointed stars in various Somerset Cottage prints.

I put it into EQ so that I could plan the fabrics and found out that I probably have enough Somerset Cottage to make three or four king size quilts. (no, no... I'm not a compulsive buyer! ;) )

What was so striking to me about this quilt was the very low contrast - it looked so serene and restful. The only contrast comes from the hue and not the value - the value is pretty much the same for all the fabrics in the line.

I usually like a LOT more contrast, but the softness of the shabby chic fabric colors looks beautiful without big contrast.
I LOVE it. It has a quieting effect and makes me want to curl up in it with a good book or movie. I love the excitement of the bright quilts as well. For me, it works because I would have a quilt for every mood! :thumbup:
Old 05-26-2011, 06:45 AM

I really love that flower quilt.. did you create it yourself,,, (no pattern).... it's wonderful... super idea...
Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 AM

Yes and I think any of your scrap 9 patch or DP9 looks great in it. I call my decor early attic and I love it.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
"Shabby Chic" is a trademarked term for a particular look. Best way to get an idea of what it means is to look at their official site: http://www.shabbychic.com
I think this is like my old farmhouse looks, except that our stuff is all genuinely shabby old vici-coloni stuff inherited from long-dead rels, furthrer worn out during my 30 years of marriage. Why , I just LOVE shabby chic!! I'm all over it! It will blend right in. And confession time - I just bought a lot of Robyn Pandolph Scarborough Fair. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope they bring out something 1890-1910ish shabby for the bedroom, because that old-hotel-oak bedroom set is going to be around for while.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM

I really like the shabby chic look and made one quilt in that style. Of course I gave it away (donation) and forgot to take a picture. I can't wait till I make myself one in that style.
~Shirley
Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Well, guess what... in September one of the fabric manufacturers will be making a line of OFFICIAL Shabby Chic fabrics. Not look-alikes, they will be designed by Rachel Ashwell herself.

It's a rather large grouping of damasks, floral stripes, simpler stripes, florals in several scales from tiny to large, and "solids".

White backgrounds, and then pink/green/blue/lavender florals/stripes/damasks.

I got a chance to see the sample cloth and it was wonderfully smooth and silky feeling.
This is going to be fun - to see the fabrics. Be sure to give us a heads-up.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM

I think the difference between *dumpster decor* and *shabby chic* is the same as the difference between *black & white*.