Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Laminate floor in sewing room >

Laminate floor in sewing room

Laminate floor in sewing room

Old 05-22-2011, 04:37 PM

I have tile and would not have carpet in my sewing room
easier to see dropped pins and needles and you can quickly mop or dust the floor
Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM

I have a Prego wood laminate in my sewing room and love it; laminate doesn't fade and I get strong east sun so it works well. I find cleaning the room a breeze in comparison to the old wall-to-wall carpet. I'd recommend laminiate to anyone for there sewing room.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 PM

I've just the same Bruce cleaning product recommended for hardwoods with excellent results. Works much like the WetJet. Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
I may be moving to a house with sedillo tile throughout except for the master bedroom which has laminate wood flooring. I am wondering about having my piano on the tile and my treadle machines on the laminate. Anyone have any experience with these floors. Thanks.
As prism99 said, you will get echo from the piano if you don't have an area rug underneath. I would also put a rug under the treadle as they have very small wheels and may make indents in the laminate. My sister and I just shopped for a rug to put under her piano as it will be going on solid fir flooring. So many nice carpet choices out there now!!!!

Patti
Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM

We have installed the laminate flooring and one thing I would suggest is make sure you don't get anything less than 8mm thick. Tis easy and fast to put down...I would suggest maybe a chair pad on the floor if your worried about marking.
sass
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM

I too have the laminate wood from Lowes.... I love it.. The shag rug I had, had too many cat hairs, needles and pins stuck in it... (no, I never went barefoot..) and now I no longer sneeze..Of course, the room is only 18 x 24, but still not big enough for my computer,wordprocessor,several sewing machines, TV, pleater (for smocking) several file cabinets, and lots and lots of material.. I live alone,(+ 2 cats) so I don't have to keep it 'spotless'..(don't really know the meaning of that word..) but I like it, and that's what's important...... to me!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM

I love my laminate floor in my sewing studio. My chairs glide easily. I do not find it tiring to stand for long periods as I did on carpetcovered concrete. It is great for seeing the dropped pins and threads. they easily sweep up with a swiffer mop. Pegeth
Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 AM

My sewing space is the basement. The room with my machine and books, HAD laminate with a textured wood grain- LOVED IT! But, then there was the flood..woe is me. Since we were afraid of that happening again, we just painted the bare concrete floors. Other than it being colder, I like it. If I could have a space upstairs, I would go laminate or hard wood for sure!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM

About 6 years ago, we replaced all the carpet and flooring in our house with laminate flooring that looks like hardwood. It's wonderful! I do daily cleaning with a dry dust mop and less frequently with a steam cleaner in the kitchen and bathrooms. It's a real joy in the sewing room. My chairs roll easily on the hard surface, threads pick up easily with the dust mop, and pins don't become stuck in the flooring like they do in carpeting.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM

I too have laminate in my 12 x 30 sewing studio. Its med. oak and it's quiet and so easy to keep up. I just use my swiffer duster when I clean up after a project. Bought it at Home Depot.