Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB?? >

Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
I just heard on Good Morning America about the FABULOUS weight losses obtained by eliminating sugar, flour and fried foods from your diet (I'd also caution about too much fat intake).
My next door neighbors in their 70's have never looked better since eliminating everything white from their diets.

Surgery is so invasive! Who can say what degree of sterile conditions the Mexican facilities employ?
Not a new concept ... it's called Healthy Eating! :)
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM

too simplistic!! are you overweight? Have a little compassion for people who aren't. yes Healthy eating is part of the equation ,but not the sum and total.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

HI friends,

Thank you so much for all of your input. I really do appreciate it.

I would not be getting the bypass. I would have a hard time going through that type of major surgery in USA or Mexico.
The gastric sleeve and the lap band are much less invasive. They are surgeries so there is always some risk involved... I am aware of that.

In Mexico they don't make you do the year of counseling and dieting that they make you go through in USA. I did find doctors within driving distance to help me with post op checks. That doesn't seem to be a problem here. My insurance doesn't cover anything that has to do with weight loss. period. It woudl all be out of pocket.

The centers I was considering are in Puerto Vallarta or Tijuana. Someone PM'd me with her experience in Tijuana at the very same clinic I am considering and it was a positive one. The facility picks you up from the San Diego Airport ....takes you to the facility ..they have accommodations for you to stay there until you are released. It seems as if this center does surgery for many Americans...as they are just across the border.

I have not definitively decided on surgery or not.

I understand the concept of more exercise, less intake of calories.

I actually really like healthy food...there isn't a vegetable I don't eat. I probably wouldn't ever even eat red meat..but in my family half of them don't eat seafood. We eat alot of chicken and I even substitute TVP in most meals where hamburger is an ingredient.

I hold back on surgery because I know I am an emotional eater. I have a really good balance of almost everything in my life (most of the time) I struggle with my weight. It is my disease...so to say. I posted in an earlier response. I have watched my calories, taken up running and exercised. I did lose weight. (about 40-45 pounds) However, when I hit a plateau my mind started playing games on me and i gave up after all that hard work. I feel like if I had the jump start of a surgery I could maintain my weight because I had the discipline to run and eat healthy for 6 months (maybe longer). I could continue beating myself up and what a loser I am that I couldn't just get through that plateau..Life is always going to give me curve balls and plateaus I realize this....
I need to conquer them. Sometimes if we have a bit of ammo to help us conquer them we feel a bit more strength to get through those bumps in the road.

I would never judge anyone for their personal hardships..and I really don't feel like any of you are doing that to me. After all we all have our own struggles. I am average (or on the shorter side) I don't carry my weight as evenly as I would like....and I just want to feel comfortable in nice clothes, pretty in my own skin and healthy enough to keep up with my children and future grandchildren. I do keep up now (barely)..I don't have any other health issues...I don't have high cholesterol or blood pressure. I don't have diabetes..I don't have anything other than extra fat.

So I appreciate all the kindness and the time it took all of you to read this and offer solutions, help and advise. Time will tell.

I have much to think about and consider...not to mention my DH isn't completely on board. He has some weird paranoia about being a single Dad with 6 kids?? I don't know?? LOL

Thanks so much!
C
Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 AM

I think you are making a wise decision to seriously think about this. I wouldn't choose that route, but I am glad you are being wise about it in researching every detail.

I would also talk with your hubby and kids and get their thoughts as well. Really go at it with the pro's and con's.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Hi Charisma!
I have not had surgery myself, but did accompany two of my grand-daughters for theirs last July and last September. We went to Tijuana to the Jerusalem Clinic; I don't remember the doc's name but he did a good job with both of them. The first one has lost 140 pounds, and the last one has lost 104, so they're thrilled.

Their patients do well, as long as they get out and move about very quickly...for example, they WALKED!! up the stairs to their overnight rooms from the recovery room...so they DO NOT baby you! I did stay with them both throughout the whole time we were there, and I recommend that if you go, you have someone go with you.

The cost was reasonable (about $6500 or so, if I remember correctly) plus air fare.

If you decide to go, look up the Jerusalem clinic along with others. And too, if you decide to have it done in Mexico, don't expect state of the art everything like we have here...'cause it's not! But it's still adequate, and like I said, my girls did well and they're just beautiful and pleased with the results.

Good luck!
Dot (aka Momto5)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

T*H*I*N*K ......... T*H*I*N*K again! With your body type the surgery really isn't going to do a whole lot for you. You are still going to have to diet/exercise/diet/excercise to try to loose that fat in the area you want it gone. My daughter weighed 225+# three years ago and was really bottom heavy (she's 5'1") and she went on a health food binge, coupling her diet with Curves and WeightWatchers. After quite some time and being super diligent she made it to 165# and then took up running. She runs every other day for a minimum of 5-7 miles and on days she can't be out there pounding away she's on a treadmill. She's now down to 140# and has a waist but the butt is still more than she wants to carry around. She's Mom to 4 boys who encourage her (hubby is a dipshit - ooooops). She considered doing what you are considering and then tossed the idea (no insurance) and said "I CAN DO THIS". She's doing it - and you can, too. If your weight and body type are bothering you medically I would say go ahead and have this done. If it's only because you want to be "prettier" then forget it!!! YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL PERSON - inside and out. No matter what you decide, know that we on this QB will back you 100% - you already know you can get the job done without surgery. Possibly it was the wrong time (mentally) in your life to attempt it before and that's why you were defeated ......... NOW just might be the right time. God bless!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM

I've had two friends go to Mexico for their surgeries this past year. Both say it was the cleanest place they've ever been in and both are doing great. I believe they both had lapband done.

I did gastric segmentation 20 years ago when it was a pretty new thing. I lost weight rapidly and stayed there for several years. However, I've managed to gain a lot of it back as I eat the wrong things and get very little exercise. I "know" all the right things to do, but I just can't seem to make myself to it. I even cook for a diabetic, but then I don't eat the same things. I love lettuce, but more than a couple of bites of it and it will come right back up as does most meats. So even though I've stretched my stomache back out, it's still limited in many things I can or cannot eat. But that all said, I'd do it again in the same situation.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM

My daughter had lap band surgery here in the states and the results were terrible. Everything that she ate she threw up and could only hold down liquids. Yes, she did lose a lot of weight, but about six months down the road she was having stomach pains and her stomach had punctured through the lap band and it had to be removed!

My daughter had lap band surgery here in the states and the results were terrible. Everything that she ate she threw up and could only hold down liquids. Yes, she did lose a lot of weight, but about six months down the road she was having stomach pains and her stomach had punctured through the lap band and it had to be removed!