Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hoover Vacuum--Input requested >

Hoover Vacuum--Input requested

Hoover Vacuum--Input requested

Old 05-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Have you tried calling the Dyson 800 number? Maybe it is a simple fix.
i echo that. Dyson is expensive. It might just require a simple fix. Did you replace the belt? That is something that seems obvious but I overlooked until someone mentioned it. I also cut all the threads off the roller and that helps alot too.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
Well, I have FINALLY convinced Todd we need another vacuum. The Dyson hasn't worked in months and I have to empty the Shark several times while using it which is a pain. I will probably buy a Hoover and wondered which model would be best. I have 4 cats which shed considerably and throw kitty litter all over teh tile floors. I would love for the vacuum to actually pick up the litter instead of just tossing it around the tile floors, which has been a problem in the past with some vacuums. Cleaning the edges of the room is also important.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Heather
I love my Oreck! Very lightweight and very powerful. We also have the little one that I can pick up my puzels (threads and dog ears) with, clean out the car. That is very powerful too!

Edie
Old 05-30-2011, 04:23 AM

My next vac will be an oreck; I bought one over 20 years ago and it lasted forever. Probably would have be still around if I hadn't loaned it out. Anyways; thier prices are still the same as when I first bought mine. I spent way more on these other ones to have bought a couple of new orecks. They are light weight and pick up everything. The one thing that I have learnt is not to buy any that claim to say good for pet hairs. We bought two of them and they constantly clogged everytime we tried to vacumm; what a pain.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 AM

Well, I have FINALLY convinced Todd we need another vacuum. The Dyson hasn't worked in months and I have to empty the Shark several times while using it which is a pain. I will probably buy a Hoover and wondered which model would be best. I have 4 cats which shed considerably and throw kitty litter all over teh tile floors. I would love for the vacuum to actually pick up the litter instead of just tossing it around the tile floors, which has been a problem in the past with some vacuums. Cleaning the edges of the room is also important.

Heather
We purchased a Hoover Windtunnel about 10 months ago and I would not recommend it. I had it serviced and plan to sell or give it away.
Purchased the Dyson 28 and love it so easy to switch from carpet to floor. I sugest you go where you can try the different models.(sears)
Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 AM

Heather
Odd that your Dyson hasn't worked. Have you brought to the repairman? Might be a simple fix (clog, loose wire, etc.). If it can't be fixed, your local vacuum cleaner repair might be a good place to buy a new-to-you model. Many around here have old ones fixed and and ready to sell at huge discounts over their new prices.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 AM

I've owed Hoovers, a Rainbow, a Kirby, you name it I wasted money until I bought my Dyson. It is the best ever. I would check in to getting it fixed, mine had a problem and had it repaired and I haven't had anymore problems. It was a switch problem and was under warranty. I will NEVER own another unless it's a newer Dyson!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 AM

I don't have cats, but have had a Hoover, Windtunnel for years and LOVE it. It has the attachments for getting into corners and such and I also use it for "dust bunnies" on the ceilings, when I "look up". LOL. I got mine at wal mart.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 AM

I think it would be more economical to repair the Dyson if it needs more than to wash both filters. My Dyson is the best vacuum I have ever had.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 AM

I have a 45$ vac from walmart that hubs got as a "throwaway for the boat" vac, and I let him take my 600$ vac to the boat and would kill to keep this one - it consistently picks up everything - its a hoover nanolite.
For kitty litter, get a cardboard box, turn it over (open end on the floor), cut out an opening, take a pc of old carpet, or indoor/outdoor carpet - bigger than the litter bx and cardboard bx and put the litter bx on it and cover over w/ the cardboard so that the cats have to jump out on the carpet to come out of the litter thru the cutout hole. sharet
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 AM

I have a Hoover Platinium. I has a separate push vacuum and an over-the-shoulder unit that has attachments. Great Consumer Reports ratings, light weight (so no more falling down the stairs with the Self-propelled vaccum) and works great on both carpet and hard surfaces. Bought it at the Hoover outlet in Hagerstown, MD, so a good price. The outlet may ship if you're interested in that. HEPA filters, so great with the allergies.