Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM

To me it is more important to see the smile on the face of the person getting what I make than how much it cost. I watch for estate sales,coupons (just got some wide kona muslin for daughters quilt at 40% off) and regular sales. Our JoAnns is having a grand opening sale next weekend. guess where I am going. LOL
Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by laynak
I make quilts for customers & 'labor' is absorbed within the total price I charge (what people consider 'reasonable' averages about $3.50 ph, they'd simply not afford 'minimum wage' pricing).
A quick 'real value' estimate is to charge about 50 cents per square inch, which seems very expensive. Local LAQ's now charge 30-40 cents a sq. inch. That leaves a quilter to add another 20-30 cents square inch for the design/piecing/ materials & labor will receive $8 ph for their labor in the total cost.
A wall hanging that's 40x56 generates $425 at $8 ph and $270 at $3.50 ph.
Quilting really is expensive! And, profit is near impossible. The rules of supply/demand prevail.
Just like other artists...only a few make it to earning a living doing what is loved.
I think I have my estimate figures right now!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by laynak
I make quilts for customers & 'labor' is absorbed within the total price I charge (what people consider 'reasonable' averages about $3.50 ph, they'd simply not afford 'minimum wage' pricing).
A quick 'real value' estimate is to charge about $5-6 per square inch, which seems very expensive. Local LAQ's now charge $3-4 a sq. inch. That leaves a quilter to add another $2-3 square inch for the design/piecing/ materials & labor will receive $8 ph for their labor in the total cost.
A wall hanging that's 40x56 generates $425 at $8 ph and $270 at $3.50 ph.
Quilting really is expensive! And, profit is near impossible. The rules of supply/demand prevail.
Just like other artists...only a few make it to earning a living doing what is loved.
Holy cow...if LAQ's in CA are making that kind of money, remind me to NEVER send one of my quilts to them...yikes...most LAQ's I use from AK to FL only charge about $.01-$.05 per inch.....
Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM

DeNile is a beautiful place. :-)
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Where do you get fabric at $5.00 yd
Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM

I don't want to measure the cost, because we all know that we are working for less than "minimum wage" (whatever that is nowadays)...

The way I look at it is that we are creating heirlooms, whether for our family, for our community, or for fellow quilt-lovers, artisans, the quilting heritage. Just think of all the great quilts you have seen, at museums, online, at quilt shows, etc...

I bet that when some of these pioneer women were sewing by hand, in cabins, covered wagons, etc. that none of them thought that they were creating history and adding to the cultural legacy of our great country. We are doing it for the future.... and that is why we keep sewing one more stitch, even after midnight!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM

I will give up alot of things before I give up my quilting.
I use both fabric from my stash and from my LQS.
It just depends on what my project is and what it will be used for.
Right now it looks like fabric from your LQS is running between $11.00 and $12.00 a yard.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:04 PM

My new address is Egypt, (as in de nile) lol!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM

I did a raffle quilt for a fellow worker who had terminal cancer. It had OSU appliqué and was a full size. I had 325 in it when work paid for the backing. It was raffled and we got 3,500 for her funeral cost. The appliqués where 15 dollars each .
Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loretta in Indiana
I don't want to measure the cost, because we all know that we are working for less than "minimum wage" (whatever that is nowadays)...

The way I look at it is that we are creating heirlooms, whether for our family, for our community, or for fellow quilt-lovers, artisans, the quilting heritage. Just think of all the great quilts you have seen, at museums, online, at quilt shows, etc...

I bet that when some of these pioneer women were sewing by hand, in cabins, covered wagons, etc. that none of them thought that they were creating history and adding to the cultural legacy of our great country. We are doing it for the future.... and that is why we keep sewing one more stitch, even after midnight!
it would be nice to think that..however, our culture is $$ driven and to the generations coming up now, FLEECE blankets are cheaper/less expensive and just as good as a quilt...just ask them... our landfills will never recover from all of the fleece Hancock fabrics sells...most do not know that is made from polyurethane and is meant to NEVER break down....

I saw fleece throws that look like quilts at Sears the other day for $8.95!