Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
Originally Posted by Ducky
I watched the video again, too. I have really liked all of Sharon Schamber's tutorials. I've used the one on binding. I would like to find the finger coddles that she uses....they'd come in handy.
I would love to find the finger coddles also. I thought I would look in an office supply store. I know that bank tellers use them to count money.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
She says in the video you can get the finger coddles from Purple Daisy LLC. She said if you don't see them on the website, to email them. They also have the lightweight applique stabilizer that she uses. I guess Purple Daisy carries pretty much everything Sharon Schamber uses, plus her videos, etc.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I would like to find the finger coddles that she uses....they'd come in handy.
I would love to find the finger coddles also. I thought I would look in an office supply store. I know that bank tellers use them to count money.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
I found some at WalMart. Their called finger COTS & are in the office supply section. The package has bunches of them in it & they're cheap! Didn't buy any, so I don't know how many are in the package or how much they are, though.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM

Purple Daisies are very expensive and the cots dont actually sit on the fingers as well as what Sue Nickels uses - dishwashing gloves' finger tips!! She buys the yellow dishwashing gloves in a size smaller than you would want on your whole hand and cuts off just the tips. Haven't tried that one yet either, but I did take a class from her and she [who is a magnificent quilter] swears by them.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I've GOT to find the time to watch the silly video!! I can do the points just fine now...its the "innie" that makes me grit my teeth! The other day, DH told me that I was sitting on the couch and making funny faces...moving my lips all around, gritting my teeth, sticking my tongue out. He thinks its a new goofy habit..I guess it is, it happens when I am sewing scrolls. Thank goodness he doesn't know how to run the vidoe recorder!
yes, watch the video, Sharon has this great needle under sweeping motion that she does and sometimes she holds the needle from the opposite direction and finger presses the edge after. She's great!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
Purple Daisies are very expensive and the cots dont actually sit on the fingers as well as what Sue Nickels uses - dishwashing gloves' finger tips!! She buys the yellow dishwashing gloves in a size smaller than you would want on your whole hand and cuts off just the tips. Haven't tried that one yet either, but I did take a class from her and she [who is a magnificent quilter] swears by them.
Great idea about using rubber gloves. I have a box of latex gloves that I might dig into.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Great idea about using rubber gloves. I have a box of latex gloves that I might dig into.
Sweetduck, you should have hit Gai up for some this past weekend.
I'm sure she never leaves home without 'em! :lol:
Old 05-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
Hehehe, true.....very true.

Sweetduck, you should have hit Gai up for some this past weekend.
I'm sure she never leaves home without 'em! :lol:
Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Thats a great idea about the gloves...I don't know about using the latex gloves...my box is 1 size fits all and the tips are too big for my fingers so I bet they won't stay on. I'll have to get the samll size of the yellow dishwashing gloves at the Dollar store and try them.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:37 PM

I have a quick question. I have never appliqued on a dark background fabric. I am planning to use black, but am having trouble transferring placement marks to the black so i know where to put my pieces. This is a relatively new experience for me, so any help will be greatly and gratefully appreciated!!

Maureen
Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

Maureen, you might want to use a light box of some sort to transfer the design. That is what most of us have done. There are lots of ways to improvise one if you don't have one. I personally use my big square ruler balanced between 2 chair seats with a lamp placed on the floor underneath. Then you will want to tape the pattern down, then tape your fabric down on top and trace your pattern onto your background. Hope that helps.

On another note...I finally was able to watch Sharon's video. Thats a great idea to do the innie points. I'll be trying that. I don't know about using that foundation as I really really want to just be able to "master" the regular needleturn technique.