Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What happened to Liz Porter? >

What happened to Liz Porter?

What happened to Liz Porter?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 AM

I have heard that, but haven't looked for the magazine.
Originally Posted by quilter1943
I think Liz is editing the knitting magazine. Check out Fons and Porter Love of Knitting.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 AM
RDM

I can understand so many years on the road and working, that a little time off could be a nice thing. I hope Liz is just off having some fun time. I'm thankful for all Fons & Porter have done for the quilting world. Their quilting book is the standard I use when ever I have questions.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 PM

done with this
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM

Ok, so she retired to be with her grandchildren. I don't begrudge her that - but I would have loved to hear it from her lips, that's all. Just watched another episode with the daughter and almost fell asleep. In case you read this Liz Porter, we love you, we miss you and we wish you the very best!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM

That's what I heard too..it happened quickly,,I live where we get them on PBS on Wed..suffered through 4 shows with the daughter..just not the same!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Liz Porter has retired and moved to Austin, Texas. She was a speaker at a quilt guild meeting ours in April(Wildflower Quilt Guild). I was able to meet her in person & get her autograph. She had said that she retired when they sold the Fons & Porter franchise in 2006. They told Liz & Marianne that they had to work for 3 years (I believe)after the sale. She was so nice. She is the first famous person that I have ever met.

;)debra;)
Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cmclaren7
There was obvious tension between the two of them last season and several shows were done solo. I don't think Liz left in "retirement" or to spend more time with her grandchildren. If that were the case, she would have made the announcement and there would have been a show dedicated to her send off. They have been doing this too long for the abrupt off the cuff remark made by Marianne Fons by way of introducing her daughter.
Of course we all welcome new quilters. However, I am not interested in watching a show hosted by one. I want to watch experts and learn from them.
I am very upset that Eleanor Burns and Liz Porter are not going to be helping me along with my quilting. To tell you the truth, Marianne Fons never did.
Very well stated.....and I agree on all points.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
At least F & P is still on the air! What are we going to do for quilting shows when all these ladies retire if we don't have new blood coming in.
Now that's a perspective I hadn't thought of!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM

When the daughter first appeared on that show, Marianne said Liz was not going to be on the show now. Liz wanted to spend more time with her family and grandchildren.

I did like the show better when Liz was on it. It definately has changed since she's been gone.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:46 PM

Liz Porter is a wonderful person. I had the pleasure of taking a few classes taught by her many years ago through a quilt guild in Iowa. She is an awesome teacher with a great sense of humor. I think it's great that she is taking time off to spend with her family, heaven knows she deserves it! I am not all that pleased with the new format of the show either, but still watch it and learn something new every episode.