Barefootin'

Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM

A long time ago it was illegal to drive barefoot but it is not now. After my leg was injured and my leg and foot would cramp really bad, I checked this out. I go barefoot all the time in the house and onto the cement patio. Put on sandals to walk on rocks. The only time in the last four years I have worn schools was for weddings and they came off at the reception. I could never dance with shoes on! LOL
Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM

Back in the day...I had a teacher get a ticket for not having her shoes on while driving. Maybe they changed it since but I heard same as your hubby.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM

I can't stand to go barefoot, but my son is just the opposite. The first thing he does, sometimes before the door is closed, is take his shoes off. Fortunately, he lives in Florida. I can't even sleep without socks unless it is about 90 degrees in the room. My feet are always cold.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM

Well, being down here in Tennessee I know a lot of folks who go barefoot, inside & outside the house, including myself. But it's safer & hygenic to wear shoes in public. At my old job my feet would hurt so bad by quitting time, I usually would drive home in my socks. My husband also gets on to me if he sees me driving without shoes. :)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 AM

SHOES??? Aren't they just for Church? I can't stand to wear them.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 AM

Diabetics need to wear shoes and good fitting socks and now that the surgical stockings have come into play...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 AM

I have Neuropathy in both of my feet and ever since I got it I too can't stand to wear shoes. When I do my feet feel like they are on fire. Glad for the info I to thought it was illegal to drive without shoes.

verna2197
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 AM

lol For some reason I checked this out 40 years ago. Back then I had to call the State Patrol, not research on the internet though. I often drive barefoot and go barefoot in the house and on the beach, but I'm too tenderfooted now to walk across the driveway.

As children we went barefoot all summer, wading in the pond, through the pastures, getting bee stung. Wonderful memories, love the feel of dewy grass on those bare feet.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
My DH is always telling me I can't drive barefoot because it is illegal. I had cramps in my feet so I drove home barefoot this aft as I couldn't stand to put my shoe back on.
So I looked it up just now and driving barefoot is not illegal in any of the states in the US. It is discouraged in a few states but not illegal. So now he can't tell me I can't drive barefoot! LOL

I have problems with the bottom of my feet feeling hot and like I am standing on a hot plate sometimes. My toes will go numb. I have had it all my life so I don't wear shoes anymore than I have to. I get called a barefoot hillbilly or a Missouri hillbilly! NO offense to Missouri. My DH calls me that because his mom grew up in the Missouri hills and was always barefoot. I go out in the snow and ice barefoot and have been known to walk on gravel tho it takes a bit of concentration to distribute your weight so you don't come down on anything sharp.

When I was a kid we played in the timber alot and I loved to take my shoes off and walk the fallen trees barefoot. I can grip better with bare feet than with shoes on. I feel more confidant when I can feel the bark and have more control over it like holding something in your hand as opposed to holding something with gloves on. I had an opportunity to go mushroom hunting with my son a couple of summers ago and yes I found a felled tree trunk and my shoes came off and I had a blast walking the tree trunk! A wonderful sensation.

So who goes barefoot? Any stories to tell?
My shoes com off the minute I get inside..
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 AM

My husband also told me it was illegal to drive barefoot; so glad to see confirmation of my rebuttal.

My aunt called us "barefoot beach bums" when she visited California (from Buffalo), and instead of being offended, our family took it on as a title of pride.

I, too, sew barefoot for the same reason as mentioned above-- I want to feel the foot pedal. I don't think I realized I was conscious of doing so, though, until this was posted.

I will occasionally go out barefoot, but I don't have the tough soles I used to. One night, downtown, after a fancy event, my feet were too sore to walk to the subway in my fancy high heels, so I removed my shoes and walked the rest of the way mostly barefoot. Ruined my stockings, but my feet were happy. Still, felt very odd walking downtown DC barefoot. I felt like a radical (which I rather enjoyed-- DC being a stuffy, political place where people tend to take themselves FAR too seriously).

-- California Girl