Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting? >

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM

If it can be used it is- there is nothing sacred here. Everything is cross used. A jeweler's loop is great for reading needles etc.rock make great fabric weights- compliments of my kids. Notebook paper is great for designing- the lines help. a section of wood cutting board with a scrap of cotton fabric is a nice sewing table ironing board. Office supplies are good resources and often cheaper if you look at them for what they can do instead of the name and color of the item.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Instead of using pins I use weights for clothing patterns - my brother was a machinist and he made some one inch by one inch - I love those and I think of him every time I use them. Since he only made 9, I also use cans of soup, butter knives or what ever else is heavy and handy.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Sandpaper. :-D I cut out a piece of cardboard and wrapped a piece of 200 grit around it and duck taped it down. Wonderful to sign siggie blocks with or to draw lines on blocks cornor to cornor. I have used a large T-square for cutting out my borders. Its 48" long and the T part hooks onto the edge of the table and good to go. Works great.
Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)
Removes warts?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 PM

I use slightly sharpened wooden chopsticks for poking out corners. They are real cheap or sometines free.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by stillwaters
Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
Oh....Divokitty'smom reminded me about under the sewing machine. I use the comfort pads that you get when you have a mammogram.......they're nice dense foam with an adhesive side that goes on the mammo machine. I know - a little over the top but they use it for a few minutes and toss them away. I bring mine home.
WOW!!! I've never heard of "comfort pads" for use with a mammogram! NOTHING about having a Mammogram seems to involve "COMFORT"!

I never had a comfort pad with mine either :(
:roll:
Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 AM

There are some awesome tips here and will give it a try! Thank you all for posting!!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by ljorange
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Sandpaper. :-D I cut out a piece of cardboard and wrapped a piece of 200 grit around it and duck taped it down. Wonderful to sign siggie blocks with or to draw lines on blocks cornor to cornor. I have used a large T-square for cutting out my borders. Its 48" long and the T part hooks onto the edge of the table and good to go. Works great.
Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)
Removes warts?
Absolutely! Cover a wart up with duct tape and leave it on, and it somehow "suffocates" it or something! Don't knock it till you've tried it!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 AM

I just tried something new yesterday. I needed to remove the chalk lines on a wallhanging but I didn't want to wash it and trying to erase the lines would have been labor intensive. I grabbed my small plastic brush for removing corn silk and it worked like a charm. The brush is about 2-1/2"x1-1/2" and has very soft plastic bristles. It isn't as hard on the fabric as the eraser would have been.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Another Harbor Freight find. I use the small dish with the magnet in the bottom for holding my pins. When traveling I put the dish in a small plastic container - that way pins stay in one place and there is room for a small spool of thread, bobbin, or small sissors in the container as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jagsd3
Originally Posted by Dbl Trouble
I use all the things the others posted but I also have a Black & Decker crosshair laser level that works perfect to square up a quilt. 2 sides at a time, laser comes out the top and side to make a perfect corner. Maybe you should get your husband one for Father's Day! ha
What a NEAT idea! Thanks for sharing all...
I really needed this hint - I have a lazer leveler!!! Working on a quilt right now. Thanks