Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Dahlia pillow >

Dahlia pillow

Dahlia pillow

Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Awesome. Very nice, indeed. Looks perfect to me!!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you. I made the dahlia part on a much larger backing fabric (in my case, about 22" square), so that I would have room to add a border. I cut eight pieces of border fabric - about 1.1/2 inches wide and long enough to cover the end of each of the 8 parts of the dahlia with a couple of inches extra on each side. I sewed opposite sides each time. Top and bottom, side and side, corner and corner and then the last corner and corner. I pressed the top, bottom and side strips open as I added them, then sewed the remaining four strips so that they overlapped the ones already done. When you press these open, you will find that the border is nicely complete all around. I then added the background fabric in the same way but using pieces 5" wide. If you want a larger pillow, you can make these pieces even wider.

I hope this is clear. It sounds complicated, but is really quite simple. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 AM

Just spotted this!! Beautiful!! Looks perfect to me! Don't do yourself down!!! Hope you are ok!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks. I am fine and presently staying with my son and daughter-in-law as my A/C isn't working and the temperature has been in the high 90s. Am having quilting withdrawal as I don't have all my "stuff" with me, so have started some cross stitching to help keep me sane. Am hoping to come over some time in October or November -will keep you posted. I would love to meet you and get to see some of your work. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jwatmough
Sorry to take so long in getting back to you. I made the dahlia part on a much larger backing fabric (in my case, about 22" square), so that I would have room to add a border. I cut eight pieces of border fabric - about 1.1/2 inches wide and long enough to cover the end of each of the 8 parts of the dahlia with a couple of inches extra on each side. I sewed opposite sides each time. Top and bottom, side and side, corner and corner and then the last corner and corner. I pressed the top, bottom and side strips open as I added them, then sewed the remaining four strips so that they overlapped the ones already done. When you press these open, you will find that the border is nicely complete all around. I then added the background fabric in the same way but using pieces 5" wide. If you want a larger pillow, you can make these pieces even wider.

I hope this is clear. It sounds complicated, but is really quite simple. Good luck.
Thanks! I have made three but only finished one b/c of the difficulty AFTER the dahlia itself is finished. It can be seen here- http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-120794-1.htm

I will try this!

oops! I forgot it was my avatar! :?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Thanks. I am fine and presently staying with my son and daughter-in-law as my A/C isn't working and the temperature has been in the high 90s. Am having quilting withdrawal as I don't have all my "stuff" with me, so have started some cross stitching to help keep me sane. Am hoping to come over some time in October or November -will keep you posted. I would love to meet you and get to see some of your work. Thanks for your kind words.
Oh heck! Wish I could say the same here!!! Hope it gets sorted soon! Look forward to meeting up soon!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM

that is so pretty, love the colors. Barb
Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 AM

I have always wanted to try this pattern and finally finished this one last week. Not perfect by any means, but the next one will be better.
JUst my colors...let me send you my address!!! LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 04:32 PM

I just made a smaller one, and would love to make 1 pillow sized, can you share the size of the pieces with me? I think the pot holder was made with 2"x3" pieces. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 AM

I used 6 inch squares and seven different fabrics. I sewed hem half an inch apart. Hope this helps.